Saturday, March 20, 2010

Word to the Wise

Fernando is a work out-aholic. The man has an injured knee and still is drawn to the gym under the guise that he will take it easy. Without fail, within a few minutes of the light workout, his body cranks up the power to punch out what seems like a insane 45 minute torture session to the rest of humanity or at least to me. My idea of working out has a zen feel to it. The sweat should glisten across your smiling face and you can still carry on somewhat of a conversation at any given point. He warns me often of the do's and don'ts of working out. Number 1: Never NEVER eat before working out. I never follow this rule. And, until Tuesday, I never understood why it would have to be a rule.

Tuesday morning, a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch became me breakfast of champions. Then the kids and I headed to the YMCA for a little Zumba fever. Like usual, I decide to increase the intensity of each move to increase the end product (or should I say decrease my "end" product). Rule 1 struck with a vengeance. I couldn't focus on anything except the overwhelming urge to puke. Too addicted and prideful to leave class early, I toned down my moves to a mere shuffle of my normal self. My normal self is quite sweaty, but with the new intense predicament, I looked like a train wreck. The feeling stayed strong for a good part of the day. There's a right way to live and be happy, and it's choosing the right everyday.

2 comments:

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

Great primary song application. I wish I had your zen workout attitude with glistening sweat. I should be embarrassed about how I look when I exercise - not pretty.

student said...

New meaning to "choose the right way, and be happy" I will always choose the right. I didn't realize that was the reality. I have never eaten and exercised in a close enough sequence to appreciate at a concrete level your experience. However, with your warning, I never will!! Thanks for the heads up.