Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Yes we Can!

With Obama fever filling the nation, I had high hopes for the HOA meeting I attended this last week. I sat through the meeting listening to various expensive ideas the community members had to make our streets more safe. The fact is that our community is really safe, but people were shooting out ideas for speed bumps (which cost quite the pretty penny), and even making our community a gated community. I threw out some suggestions and even signed up to be on some safety committee. Then when the meeting was offically ended, I raised my hand to add a food for thought.

When we were house hunting a year ago, this property had a lot of appeal but lacked a critical component: a swimming pool. As you can imagine from my posts previous to this one, this is kind of essential. In the end, the fact that Sea World is 5 minutes from our house convinced us that we could buy a home without a pool in the community. Since then, we have heard of a few people who wanted to move into this community but opted for the neighboring community that came with a pool.

With that said, My motivation for building a pool in our community has increased drastically. I want people to love our home and community so when i go to sell in a few years, we will have some serious buyers. Unfortunately, the rest of the HOA people and community members were not so thrilled. They didn't even want to discuss the possibilities. They said it was too expensive and would increase our HOA fees. Sadly enough the people failed to realize that our HOA fees are comparable to our neighboring pool owning community, but all we see of those fees are notes for home improvement and some catered party. With the number of homes and the amount of dues and the trimming of unnecessary monetary waste from our HOA, we can have a pool.

Westover Place HOA, you haven't heard the last from me. Grass movements obviously work in this nation and it's in my families blood to campaign.

8 comments:

David said...

They don't want a pool!? That's crazy!
And I never knew there is a sea world in san antone

Becca said...

Have fun trying to get them to build a pool! You are always welcome to come enjoy our pool. You can come next week during spring break and we'll have fun! What do you think?

tylerandmommy said...

We have a pool in our neighborhood and it is my lifesaver in the summer! You keep pushing and hopefully they will cave!!

student said...

You need to do what you were born to do. Lots of success, keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! My first visit here - from David's blog.

TeamTovar lives in the same town as me!

A community pool is a great advantage for a family here.

Not.my.choice.for.community.action.

Nonetheless, I wish you luck. Maybe you live there for just that reason.

We bought an older home with a pool already in the back yard. If you look through my last summer's posts, I often praised the glory of my own pool.

Barbara

Claudia said...

You go, girl! I desperately wanted to live in a neighborhood with a pool, but alas, the community fates conspired against me. And now, here in (this will make you laugh) Westover Estates, there is no community property to dig a hole in and fill with water.

David said...

hey team tovar, speaking of obama fever, maybe you could petition the federal government to pay for your new pool. Tell them it would be stimulating to the economy, that should do it.

TOVAR said...

Funny. . .I actually thought about presenting it as a good for the whole. You know, our community is improved which increases home value, but we also give work to the hard hit construction industry which would probably give us a great deal etc. I never thought of a federal level. Hmmm. . . .for now I'll stick with the HOA and then move on to the City Planners to help bring better parks and nature trails to our neck of the woods.