Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dr Seus

Dr Seuss was a genius. If you don't agree, check out the juvenile portion of your local library. Pull out any random book and see if you recognize the name as quickly as you do Seuss. Then pull out a Seuss book with its lack luster art and crazy semantics and realize this man figured out a fantastic way to market his books. As further proof, type Seuss on your computer. Spell check even recognizes it.

Some of his books really do nothing for me and the pictures don't help. Then there are such charmers like "If I Ran the Circus", "Fox in Sox", "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut Tight", and "The Sneetches" (to name a few) that I read over and over again. We even own the Boris Karloff version of "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" as well as the book. My dad introduce the movie and my mom would randomly quote it while we were driving to the various errands in the car. Speaking of cars and Seuss, we happened to check out a audio cd of "The Cat in the Hat and other Dr Seuss Favorites" and listened to it over and over and over again as per the children's request as we drove from MD to TX. And, I would have to confess, I actually liked hearing it over and over again myself.

Many of his books hold profound lessons and moral applications. I often think about Green Eggs and Ham as a metaphor on temptation. In other words, stick with your gut feeling about avoiding the temptation, because it's a lot easier to avoid it without the desirous taste in your mouth.

Now, you might ask, "If you love Seuss so much, how come you spelled his name wrong in the title of this Post?" Well let me explain. This past week was Dr. Seuss worship week at school. His birthday is March 2 and makes for a fun week at school. I thought that it would be fun to spell out his name in Mia's hair throughout the week. I found that fitting since he was notorious for crazy do's. Monday-Thursday sported these looks, but by Friday, she wasn't interested. Part of the disinterest had to do with my over promising of spelling the whole name in her hair. Way too ambitious for my abilities, but I thought I would try. No go with my abilities and her hair texture. Do you blame her for not wanting to downsize? (Sorry if you can't determine the letters. . .I did warn you that I lacked the skill and Mia's hair texture didn't help)




Aside from the hair, Mia sported Seussical outfits such as this polka dot top with striped pants and mismatched socks all week.


Mia's words about Dr Seuss week:

Well, um, Dr Seuss day I ate Green Eggs and Ham and it was so so so so so so good. My friend, Sarah, and Jordan did not like the green eggs and ham. They did not like them like the Sam I am book. But, I liked my fun day of the last Dr Seuss day.

8 comments:

David said...

That hair is awesome! Nice job!

At the beginning of the post, I thought 'oops, Rachel misspelled Seus. Then I felt stupid when you explained.

Then I got to wondering if there was also a special reason for spelling 'warn' as 'warm'

Sounds like things are lots of fun at the Tovar home!

Ok I'm out.

And by the way, just kidding about misspelling Your name lol

Good luck in my contest drawing tomorrow.

David said...

oh and by the way, I have the old boris karloff video too. I love it!

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

I think you are right up there with Dr. Seuss when it comes to creativity - I love Mia's hair. I would have never thought of that! I love Dr. Seuss - I am guilty of being asked to be quiet in a library because I was reading a Seuss story too excitingly to my girls once. Quincy's favorite is his ABC book because it has her name in it and I can usually talk Liezl into trying a new food after I refer to the Green Eggs and ham story. Thanks for the fun post.

David said...

i tried coming to your blog earlier today and the whole thing was blank! i thought at first that it was some kind of clever post. but alas, just a glitch.

Becca said...

At least you tried, and it's very cute! You are so ingenious! I also like Dr Seuss!

Kimberli said...

Cool hair! I am impressed. Thanks for letting me borrow your Seuss books... he is quite the writer! I'd never read the "Fox in Socks" or the "Eyes Shut" books. Great fun!

student said...

Great Hair Mom and Mia!!! We had Dr. Sues (sp) Day last Monday. All the teachers wore tall red and white striped hats and looked just swell. I shared McElligots (about the spelling thing) Pool. With the document camera, the students were able to see the pictures as they heard the story. Then, of course, the teacher side of me had the students talk about the theme of the book. I wonder at what depth the story was really written? Oh, well, the students liked the story and waxed very eloquent in the discussion of the theme.

Lisa Christine said...

For the record....I think the hair is AMAZING!!!