Monday, May 18, 2009

Sophisticated Taste

It's funny what kids deem edible. For example, during most infants' oral phase, they'll shove any random object into their mouth to taste test. (funny how some things that really are food like pureed green beans aren't apart of the willing tasting) Talia has tried many various things that make me cringe and grateful for an immune system.

Yesterday, I had a hankering for some pumpkin dip. Actually I have been wanting to make this dip since I bought some Tostitos that were made with a hint of lime. I had to get two bags since they only cost $2 for super size bag that even came with 20% more then normal. I know, I am a sucker for gimmicks.

On Sunday, I had sort of a manic moment with food making. I decided to bust out the dip and make some enchiladas. Then I decided I would freeze the enchiladas and make mass amounts of meatballs (some for dinner and some to freeze). I finally decided to stop cooking when the dip had long enough to sit and blend their favors together. Talia was the first willing taste tester. She is assimilating things with her limited vocabulary. When she wants food, she will say in a questioning tone, "Banana?" and "ma" which means more. Tiago and Mia were suckered into trying some since they couldn't have any chips without trying the dip. One taste and they were sold.








Sadly, the dip was too irresistible for the rest of the toppings to make their way into our mouths. I guess that will have to be for the other bag.


Monterey Pumpkin Dip

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

15 oz. canned pumpkin

2 oz. chopped canned green
chilies

½ t. garlic salt

½ t. cumin

sour cream

chopped tomato

chopped green onion

diced red onion

tortilla chips



Blend cream cheese, pumpkin, green chilies, garlic salt, and cumin. Spread into 9x13 in. pan. Top with sour cream, tomato, green onion, and red onion. Serve with chips.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Cookin up a storm in Texas I see.

Can't wait for you to come out here and unleash some of your culinary capabilities on the camarillo cousins. Maybe they too will enjoy your hidden vegetables. They meaning Chris and Ethan.

I will enjoy anything you make--hidden or no.

David said...

enchiladas and meatballs? I'm coming to your house!

AMy said...

i am drooling...again.

Lisa Christine said...

I have never even heard of pumpkin dip...intriguing!

By the way....Mia looks EXACTLY like you in that first picture. A miniature Rachelle....so cute!

student said...

"Culinary Capabilities on the Camarillo Cousins." Wow!
And I'm with Amy, drooling.

Claudia said...

Like Lisa, I've never heard of pumpkin dip, but now I must have some. After reading the recipe, I have about half the ingredients - and while i think I could live without the diced red onion, I think I might have to make a run for some chips with lime.