Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Weight Concern

Big girl Talia had her 12 month well baby check up. It was kind of embarrassing since the last well baby check up I remembered to take her to was at 4 months. I had always been very diligent with my other two. . .poor Talia.

I am not quite sure if her teeth were bothering her since it feels like a Saber Tooth Tiger size tooth is attempting to move as slowly as possible through her sensitive gum line or if it reminded her of being dropped off at the gym daycare, but Talia started screaming for rescue as soon as I laid her down on the weight table. She didn't stop screaming until her shoots. Yes, she screamed louder and longer for her standard check up then she did for the shots that were stabbed into her thighs.

As for the disjointed appointment, I was treated kind of like a suspect. It didn't help that I brought my own little show of Talia's vocals and Mia and Tiago's sibling antics. (You know, whatever one wants to do or have the other one really wanted. Funny how wants are produced sometimes.) The doctor watched as I tried to arrange a truce between the two, all the while trying to soothe a grumpy and loud baby. I even shushed the doctor so I could intervene in what appeared to be the second stand of the Alamo that was staged on the sit and stand stroller we are borrowing from our friend.

Finally the concern is breached. Talia's weight is a bit out of controlled. In fact, the doctor arranged for us to come back in one month to see how it is progressing. The shock, she is not big enough! When she asked "Does she eat enough?" laughter burst from my lips before I could stop myself. Then the doctor ordered a "standard" anemia test.* I couldn't help but wonder if the standard was due to age or the concern more malnutrition.

These and many other images rushed through my head while the doctor expressed her worries. This is Talia trying to consume every possible morsel of cake left in the pan from Mia's birthday cake. She even resorted to the mouth to plate technique. We'll keep you posted on our little lady.




*The anemia test involved Talia being awkwardly restrained over this arm rest while a lab tech milked her pierced finger for all it was worth. Then, to stop the bleeding, they wrapped Talia's hand with that strange rubber wrap that sticks only to itself. Her hand turned into this strange looking club hand. Talia was more interested in what happened to her fingers then the pain she might have been in. I wish I had a camera. She was hilarious to watch. It was a mix of confusion, adoration, and plotting.

5 comments:

AMy said...

doctors...they think they know everything. she seems pretty chuncky and healthy to me ;) and does she have it right licking our the bottom of the pan. that girl knows all the best secrets of life!

David said...

you know what rachelle, i'm with amy 100% on this one. Talia is fine. There's a reason they call doctors quacks. They're a bunch of loonie toons. You say she eats great. She looks great. Pay no attention to the doc.

tylerandmommy said...

Luckily I have an excellent pediatrician who was, in fact, MY pediatrician as a kid. Tyler is barely on the charts for height and weight. He was 2 in January and weighs 24 lbs on a heavy day. I think your worry should be finding a different doctor possibly, NOT with Talia's weight...

Emily said...

I can't help you on the weight thing, but Thanks for those darling photos anyway.

Talia is darling!

student said...

Having hosted my share of "amazing children behavior displays" for doctors, ward members, etc (you get the picture), I would simply say, do what is best for the kids, let the audience make their own judgment. Perhaps I am jaded, but kids usually don't seen the need to perform on que. Talia is darling, and I see no signs of neglect or starvation,