Thursday, April 23, 2009

How all shopping should be

My Tuesdays and Thursdays usually revolve around attending Zumba. (I know, enough already about it, but it's my blog so it's going to mention this new fascination). This means that I have to tweak Talia's nap schedule to correspond with the 9 am Tues class as compared to the 11 am Thurs class. It's takes a lot of planning and cooperation on everyone's part.

This past Tuesday, started with the plans to attend my beloved class, but plans changed with Talia was still peacefully sleeping at the designated go time. So, I decided to spend some fantastic couch time with Tiago reading any book of his choosing. Over 45 minutes of reading together was wonderful. Then we heard Talia on the monitor and I got an idea. Why not attend the step class that my friend teaches and then do some much needed errands at the mall near by? Perfection.

Anyone who knows me well knows how much I hate shopping at malls. I hate the music, the noise, the priceyness, the perfume sprayers, etc. This is some of the reasons why my wardrobe doesn't change all that often. I am done looking frumpy and so I have been window shopping for purchases trying to avoid my mistake of buying sale items in hopes of learning to love them.

Today was the day. I would return to a mall mainly because I had to exchange some clothing purchased for Mia, but would actually stop in some shops for myself. I couldn't have picked a better place to start. The Shops at La Cantera is a shopping paradise. It isn't enclosed and stuffy like most malls. Instead its shops are the only enclosed part and you get to stroll down bamboo lined manicured gardens with babbling brooks and little waterfall interruptions in the cement walkways. They even had a little playground to break up the monotony of shopping. And although I didn't find anything I loved for myself, I left refreshed and wanting more.

7 comments:

David said...

1st!

I love how malls are now called "Shops"

David said...

ok rachelle, i got out my John Adams book and found an answer for you:

"What Adams thought as he looked at the painting will never be known."

Apparently there was such a scene, where he and the artist viewed the new painting. But he didn't say much, and certainly didn't rant like in the movie. Also, it mentions that before the painting was begun, he had cautioned the artist to be accurate. What the movie did was take this advice to the artist and turn it into a criticism of the final product, which is not what happened.

However, I just read in another book that Adams was usually very critical of portaits that were made of him. So it's not unlikely that he would not have cared for the picture.

So it seems we have a classic example of a screenwriter trying to teach his viewers something (in this case the inaccuracies of the picture) rather than just portraying the event as it happened.

anyways, sorry to clog up your comment box with a note that is totally unrelated to your day at the mall.

Emily said...

oh!

Lucky you to live by such fabulous shops~

Good thing Fern married a frugal one, or else watch out pocketbook!

AMy said...

just one more reason to move outta michigan.

Becca said...

I've always wanted to go to the Shops. I'll definitely have to go there sometime. I missed Zumba this week too, but step is a great class too!

Lisa Christine said...

There is an outdoor mall like that in San Diego and I always thought it was amazing.

However, I, like you, do not enjoy shopping and have been known to have Donald do my shopping for me (because he LOVES shopping). It works :)

student said...

I'm thinking of a book, yes you know the one. Amen.