Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Mia


(Mia wearing her new skirt designed by her grandma and aunt angela. The excentric print was inspired by a telling conversation her aunt had with her some weeks prior. Just for everyone's information, Mia likes cats and purple and doesn't like yellow that looks like and I quote "mayonnaise and mustard mixed together".)



Fernando and I can't believe that Mia is already 6 years old. It makes things more strange since Talia is wearing all of Mia's old clothes. When I look at Talia and Mia together, I just can't imagine Mia that small. With that said, I am amazed at how much she has grown and learned and taught us. And although we can become much akin to head ramming big horn sheep at times, I love her with all my heart.

This is the love that kept me going through the marathon day of her birthday. We dropped her off for what she felt was going to be a pretty normal day at school. Then we raced home to clean up the toy room that was going to become her new bedroom. Tiago worked hard for his little 3 year old self and we were racing against the clock. The room was pretty messy and I had some grandiose plans. (this is after some cleaning)
I had to remove shelving in the closet to make room for a bookshelf. The bookshelf needed cleaning from its stint in the garage. This was the most terrifying since there happened to be a little black widow next to a humongous spider carcass. Thank heavens for layerable toilet paper that slightly protected my hands from the human eating spider 40 odd layers between me and death. (yes, aside from being afraid of clowns, I am terrified of any and all spiders) I had to dismantle our bedroom curtains (which was a much needed project) for a reading canopy nook. I had to hang some curtains in the room to help block the summer sun for our early bedtimes. I move her bed into the room and make it with her new duvet cover.

In between these plans, we surprised Mia at lunch with macaroni and cheese (with broccoli*) and octopus hot dogs. I should point out that the octopusness of the hot dogs was only in form and not ingredients.
After eating, I read a few of our favorite books such as The Ok Book, and Clinton Gregory's Secrets. It must also be noted that we keep adding to our favorite books. This happens when you are at the library once a week and check out at least 15 books each go. Once we were told to pick between some books because we were at our limit.

After lunch, we raced home in hopes of finishing before we were needed back at school for the honorary birthday treat celebration in class. We brought popsicles since another classmate who shares Mia's birthday already said they were bringing cupcakes. These cupcakes turned out to be crisco frosting wonders with a little cake below. I tried my best not to imagine the texture and taste of those blue babies. The kids on the other hand loved every last glop.

While trying to take Mia home after the class party fun, she was swarmed by her classmates in this group hug. I was laughing so hard that I couldn't even get my camera out in time to capture the moment.

At home we had Mia's favorite eat out items that I am capable of making at home which happens to be Panera's Broccoli and Cheddar Soup and Panini Sandwiches. I creatively used the last of Fernando's cake to make mini ice cream cakes that were topped with caramel syrup. We or I should say they watch a movie while I did some finishing touches. In the end she was happy and very tired little girl ready to sleep in her new room. Talia also benefited from this move. This brought the impending transition from her closet room to real room into fruition.


7 comments:

student said...

She is so darling. I loved looking at the video without any sound. She moves just like she has always moved since she was a baby. Happy Birthday sweet Mia.

Emily said...

happy bday!

you are so the mom with the mostess!

hope you have had some r&r after that whirlwind week!

love to all of you~

AMy said...

rachelle you are so amazing. i am so happy for mia. that is an amazing gift. i loved the look on her face when she first walked in . it was like she thought she was dreaming. and i like the little reading corner...happy birthday... and measurements please....i would like to add to her costume collection :)

David said...

black widows are the worst. i do not move things around in the garage without gloves on.

you can't imagine mia being talia's size? i can, since that's what she was when we visited you in gaithersburg.

oh, and what is a mfhd major?

and finally, i just came here from commenting on somebody else's blog, it was their kid's birthday, and i said, it seems like everyone is having a birthday, and then i come over here, and it's another birthday!

Lisa Christine said...

What fun!

I can't believe that you have all those birthdays one right after another. Our daughters all have birthdays within 3 weeks or so....but yours all seem to fall in 1 week! Wow!

Love the room....love that color....and I especially love the secret hideaway!

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

Oh I am so glad everything turned out so well for Mia's birthday! I'm particularly glad you took video of her face and reaction when she saw her new room. It turned out really cute! Good think that skirt isn't too short... although I must say I think that it might be a little cuter closer to her knee caps... but once again, at least it isn't showing panties...

tylerandmommy said...

Happy Birthday Mia!
I loved watching the video and her reaction to her new room.