Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fiesta means Party

One of the fun things about living in Texas is celebrating various holidays such Fiesta. Fiesta is a two week long party that is still a kind of mystery to me. There are fun events everywhere and the schools even get in the spirit. Thursday was the big finale to a week of fiesta themed activities. From mural painting and hat making and stories and dress up, most kids in Mia's class were claiming that it was the best week of their life.
On Thursday, the pre-k and kinder classes had a float parade. I kind of felt bad for Mia since it didn't turn out as snazzy as all of the other floats. Too bad the weather wasn't in cooperation. The wind blew several floats over and brought many a tears and near strangulations from sombrero neck ties. Mia was festively dressed in a beautiful dress from Mexico. Fernando's family brought it back some authentic dresses for the kids as per my request. I thought it would be nice for them to have something from the Mother land. Anyway, his parents brought me back a beautifully embroidered dress as well. I decided that it was the perfect day to wear it. Unfortunately, the wind that wreaked havoc on the floats made my Mu Mu looking number a bit more of a show then anyone was hoping for. (By the way, I kind of felt all special wearing these one of a kind numbers to the parade. this special feeling was dashed to pieces when we stopped by Walmart after the parade to find rows and rows of the exact same giddy ups. Too bad that they didn't get their traditional dresses hand picked for them.)








Later that day I helped serve nachos and raspas (a fancy name for snow cones) to the kinder kids. This really was silly since there were too many moms with too little to do. I just ended up talking with Mia and leaving early. Which was fine with everyone and gave me more time to finish up the few things I had left to do for Mia's friend party happening later on that afternoon. Like decorate this cake that looked far better in my head then actually completed on the pan.

Some might argue that it would still taste good whether or not it looked all that great, but they would be wrong again. I tried to make this version of cream cheese frosting for the carrot cake, but added pudding to help it frost more smooth. The frosting was a sugar overload. The kids didn't seem to mind.


We made foam animals, played on our swing set, ate Pizza Mia from Pizza Hut (which is nasty, but has her name), ate cake and ice cream, opened presents, and watched part of a movie. We were going to watch more, but I wasn't really loving the movie and its sarcasm so I turned it off and made the kids play outside for the rest of the time.

It was the lamest party I have ever thrown. Not that my parties are fantastic, but this was really bad. Oh well, at least the kids didn't riot. The only part that was really kind of fun and something I think I will do again was the twister hopscotch birthday present situation. Papa Juan, Mama Clara, and Aunt Tirsa sent Mia this fun game for her birthday. I had the kids set it up. Then one kid spun the wheel o' fun (just like a normal twister wheel, but modified) and it told them the action they had to do in order to get off the hopscotch and give Mia the present. The four options were singing, wiggling, dancing, and clapping. It was cute to watch them concentrate on the hopping while holding the present and thinking about the end result.


I think I will go back to the idea that we will do friend parties every other year. This way, important b-day's like turning 8 and twelve can have a better emphasis. We'll see. Happy Birthday Mia.

7 comments:

Claudia said...

Happy Party to all of you!
I can't get over how much Mia has grown up! Time just passes me by when I'm not paying attention.

Emily said...

So, Mia is so cute!

Does it count that we have NEVER thrown a b-day party for Ethan, lame or otherwise :0)

I wish we could have fiesta--you texans have all the fun!

David said...

team tovar is always having parties and doing activities and fun things!

what movie did you not finish?

tylerandmommy said...

Looks like LOTs of fun! I wanna visit Fiesta!

Lynette said...

First off, I'll bet the kids thought it was the greatest thing ever.
Second, you not only are the funnest Mom to throw all the parties, but you are ALSO the best blog updater I have ever met and I think it's awesome.
Third, the cake, it may not have been the prettiest thing on the block, HOWEVER, my girls would have adored it for the fact the it had Pet Shop animals on top!

Lisa Christine said...

David is right....you guys are ALWAYS up to some fun!

And I think the cakes looks really cute :)

By the way....I have heard of quite a few families that do the every-other year party thing...and I think it sounds like a good idea. I think I am going to put it in action. That means I am off the hook next later this year when my girls turn 5 and 7.

**Since they both have October birthdays I might just host a big halloween party instead on the off years.

student said...

Happy Birthday to an amazing girl. Mom I think you are a little hard on yourself. The kids don't appear to be suffering.