Monday, April 27, 2009

Falling for Rapunzel

Things have changed so much since I was in school. There are no more floppy disks and computer time is more then just playing Oregon Trail and coming up with funny things to write on the head stones. Christmas break is now a Winter Holiday and for Halloween, you don't dress up and have a parade. I actually enjoyed not having my kids traumatized by the gory costumes that some people think are appropriate to put on their kids, but was sad that Mia didn't get to have the fun of dressing up.

Luckily, for Fiesta week, they let the kids dress up as their favorite character in a book. This was more difficult then I had thought. Mia wanted to wear the Rainbow Brite costume that used to be mine when I was younger, but we couldn't find a book. Then she thought she would be Lucy from Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Upon closer inspection of the book, Lucy doesn't get to wear a pretty princess looking dress. In fact, in our addition, she is still wearing her frumpy school uniform.

Right before we had to go to school, we stumbled upon the solution that we happened to grab from the library earlier the previous week. Falling for Rapunzel is a funny take on the traditional story. The Prince hears Rapunzel in distress and attempts to rescue her. Instead of being trapped in the tower waiting for the prince to rescue her, Rapunzel is merely bothered at her unruly hair. The Prince yells up various wordings of the same idea of "letting down her hair". They made it more kid friendly in this adaptation, but the humor is a bit risque. For example, the hair is mistaken for underwear which is promptly thrown down. Just a warning, but it is a funny read.

Here was our take of Mia looking like someone from the story.



I tried to do a french braid crown around Mia's head and ended up a little avant-garde. My mom used to do it in my hair all the time. Just one more thing that I can add to my "My mom is amazing" list.

7 comments:

AMy said...

i absolutely love it. too bad for the change in the times because the halloween parade was one of the best things ever as a kid...but fortunatly mia doesn't know the difference. she doesn't seem devestated by the way things are now.

David said...

they were still playing oregon trail when you were in school? I Loved that game!it must have been early to mid 80's when we used to get computer time for oregon trail.

tylerandmommy said...

Awww I think her hair is adorable. I can't wait for the new Rapunzel movie to come out...

Lisa Christine said...

I think that her hair looks lovely!

I enjoyed your first paragraph about all the things that we used to get to do in school....it was a trip down memory lane :)

Oregon trail....loved that.

student said...

Love the book, I still think it is funny. As for the hair, I have seen some amazing doos on that Mia head. Too bad I didn't use Oregon Trail, maybe I would have been more successful.

Becca said...

How fun! Mia definitely is a pretty princess!

Kevin and Kristen said...

Rachelle-
I just wanted to clarify the story I told you about Jordan saying how Mia looked beautiful. So it was about this day when they got to dress up for school as a storybook character. I had asked him who Mia was dressed up like, and he said a Rapunzel princess. And I asked him if she looked pretty, and he gave me this little smile, and nodded his head yes. It was cute! I just had to write and clarify when that conversation was.