Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Swine Flu

This new crazy soon to be pandemic has more then hit our shores. I must say that I feel bad for Mexico. The country on a whole has never been looked at with admiration to begin with and now this. I mean at least Asia got something regal sounding with the Avian Flu and Africa and its West Nile Virus. I mean change out Virus and that would be a trendy club name (or at least wanna be hit joint somewhere on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls). Poor Mexico gets stuck with Swine for it's flu. One might argue that England and its Mad Cow Disease is much more demoralizing sounding, but again no one ever has weird racist feelings towards someone with a British accent.

As for our family, we are hovering around the reality of Fernando's profession. The hospital has limited access to four doorways. I am still unsure the reason for this precaution. To me it would seem that more people would then be in even closer proximity which I guess is a big no no in flu cases. I am not too worried. What would worrying do anyway? My heart goes out to the country to the South who didn't need another blow like this. The fact of the matter is, disease happens. Our world has shrunk due to easy travel which means spreading of disease. I am grateful that I live in a time that people can recognize the problem and give us a fighting chance and that the fighting chance has nothing to do with leaches.

On Tuesday I spent the day in bed. Well, I spent as much time in bed that I could with a 3 and 1 year old. Tiago got two movies and they were during Talia's and my nap time. I have totally come down with some heinous flu, but what's worse is in the back of my head (right near the stiff neck and throbbing headache) I have been thinking about all the interactions I have had in the past weeks. I am sure it is just the common flu. . . .or so that's what they all thought. Hopefully, this post real life application will not be continued much longer.

11 comments:

Emily said...

What!!!

You didn't tell me you had the flu? I hope you feel better :0(

How do they know if it is swine flu or regular flu?

Best wishes to a speedy recovery. Only 2 movies?

David said...

maybe you have the swine flu! you should call the tv network and they'll rush out and interview you and report on it because they love to stir up excitement.

get better, by the way. I had a nasty flu last year, first time for me in over 10 years.

because of mad cow, i'm not allowed to give blood anymore. i got screened out because i've spent time in europe.

by the way, i'm not sure that all the anti illegal immigration people are racist.

hey, remember when i called you randomly one night when you lived in maryland and fernando answered the phone and he was real suspicious of me. you were sick that night too. remember?

take lots of vitamin c and drink juice, that should do the trick.

night.

TOVAR said...

Upon closer inspection from Doctor Tovar (it's really nice not to have to schedule a dr appointment for every little thing), I have Strep Throat all with the stiffness and aches of the flu.

It newspaper idea would be great. I would be famous or probably infamous.

I agree with the anti illegal immigration, but let's be honest that isn't where it stops. Such is the case with all ethnic groups though.

AMy said...

get better and you know what rachelle you make a great point

...and i don't see how anti-illegal immigration has anything to do with your point. i thought you were trying to make the point that people south of the boarder are fequently seen at the "bottom of the totem pole" hence the derrogatory slurrs made at them...including a nasty word like swine.

you are so smart rachelle and you have a great "voice"

Lisa Christine said...

Oh no! I am sorry you are ill. Is there anything harder than being a sick mother who has to still care for the children when all you want to do is curl up in bed?

I hope that Fernando stays healthy.

By the way...I got a chuckle out of your comment about British accents...lol....you're right, no one feels racist towards them.

David said...

actually, it just occurred to me, why would we feel racist toward the british? we're the same race lol but i get your point :)

hope you're feeling better! maybe it's the swine strep throat. i would recommend nyquil, but then it would knock you out and who would watch the kids?

hey who is the camarillo trio? we used to live there, i wonder if we knew them.

Claudia said...

Swine or Regular, or just strep throat - I hope you feel better soon!

Is there ever a glamorous name for an illness?

tylerandmommy said...

Awww strep throat. That stinks! At least if you had the swine flu you could get some notority.

Becca said...

I'm sorry that you aren't feeling so well. Let me know if I can help with anything. I was wondering where you were during Zumba, but I totally understand with you being on your sick bed. I hope you get better very soon!

Kimberli said...

so sad when the mom is sick... I'm impressed you got through the day with only two movies for Tiago!

student said...

Being sick is SICK, but being sick with a 3 year old and 1 year old is close to desperate. I wish I were closer to help.