Sunday, March 29, 2009

Doctor's Orders

Mia has already been tagged with my genetic defect: poor hearing. I still remember the group testing in elementary school and the little colored cards they would give you afterwords. I was the only child in every grade that got a different color. Then a month later, the intercom lady would ask all the teachers to send down the re-testers and I would make my lonely and embarrassed walk to the kiva(a fancy name for big room).

It turns out that schools still practice the hearing checks which is awesome. I wasn't very surprised when Mia came home with a failed hearing test and a suggestion to see the audiologist. We have gone twice to the audiologist and to an ENT. We will be heading back to the ENT and audiologist and may be even to a CAT scan.

The last appointment was long and intense. To make it more kid friendly, the doctor used bugs and a bug launcher to show when Mia heard certain sounds. The audiologist brought in a super doctor who was the head honcho in the clinic. At this point things became slightly awkward because Super Man was more then critical of the poor little audiologist. At one point, he even snapped at her, telling her to stop looking at her watch. I wanted to interrupt and point out that the girl was more then competent, but I figured that would just make things worse for her.

After the hour and a half appointment was over, the doctor gave Mia the standard sticker, but then suggested that she deserved a special treat. I agreed. Luckily the next day was early release and we headed to Freddy's Frozen Custard. This was due to an assembly pushed on the kids earlier this week. They all received a magic coin for a free custard*.

I was a little hesitant and wasn't expecting much. Oh, was I in for a pleasant surprise. May be it was my low expectations or the fact that we don't eat fast food ever, but man was it good. I had this patty melt on rye bread that I inhaled. The shoestring fries were amazing as well. I always feel so guilty giving my kids this genre of food. I feel like I am giving them a heart attack in a bun (which is also apart of my genetic flaws). I was assuaged by the fact that my kids spent more time spinning around on their bar stools then consuming the fat full food.

In the end, we got the "free" custard cone for $12 and that was only two meals. (I had the kids share).



It was worth every penny to watch them share the ice cream cone and dance disco style to the music. (Sadly, no camera with me then, but I snatched a few when we came home).


6 comments:

AMy said...

I totally remember the kiva in brookwood I also remember one time when you picked me up from school and brought me subway...random.
I have horrible hearing and I swear it has gotten progressively worse in the past year. I guess mia is so darn cute that God needed to give her some sort of flaw.

David said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm i want that double steakburger w/cheese. That looks delicious!!!!

tylerandmommy said...

Yummy! I love heart attack in a bun. It's my favorite meal next to raw fish rolled up in rice. Glad that the long day ended with a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

You update your blog, a lot! I like that. I just have a lot to read now. Anyway, you are so funny!

Becca said...

OH, I love Freddy's! When my in-laws were here, we went there twice since my MIL couldn't get enough of the custard and steak burger. Delicious!

Sorry to hear about Mia. I hope that they find out the problem. It's a positive sign though that she can speak so well. As you know, I've been there with Parker so if you need to talk I'm all ears!

student said...

I know you suspected that Mia might have a problem with her hearing, Have you noticed anything with Tiago and Talia?