Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mini Miracles

“Earth’s crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God; And only he who sees takes off his shoes.”
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

For FHE the other night, the kids and I played a 'board' game from the Friend magazine. Admittedly, the game was a little more advance then the group we were playing with, but we made do. Instead of the kids having to do a Pictionary guess of the scripture event, I let one kid draw and then we would talk about the scripture passage. (click on the link to see the game with the rules and the passages)The only passage that they really knew enough to guess was Daniel and the Lion's Den. Tiago did some pretty ferocious lions. Too bad my batteries died in my camera and I haven't recharged them yet.

With that said, the miracles that happened in the scriptures always are so fantastical. Yet, when I am looking, I see just as miraculous things happening to us daily. Here are just a few from the past few days.


Monday:
Beautiful weather and new shovels take Tiago, Talia, and I into the backyard for some good old outdoor noth'n doing. I happened to grab the phone for who knows what reason. Talia and I were not appropriately dressed for the hot sun and both of us were feeling a bit on the wilted side. After a good half hour or so, I decide it is time to hydrate and change into better clothes. Only problem is the house is completely locked up. Fernando was sleeping upstairs (do to night float) so I quickly called his cell phone. No answer. I wasn't shocked. He is a dead sleeper.

Funny side note: While banging on the front door and ringing the doorbell and calling the cell phone, I mutter in dismay "come on, Fernando. You can't be that dead of a sleeper." Tiago inquired, "Daddy's dead?" It took me a second to put the two together and rephrased the idea in less morbid terms. Though dead really is the best description for Fernando's sleep.

Back to the problem. No amount of banging and doorbell ringing was working. Talia was over heated and trying to eat bug carcasses while I was distracted with my barrage of banging. Finally, after 15 minutes of failed attempts, I came to my senses. I asked Tiago to offer a prayer. It was short and to the point. We abandoned the front door options and headed to the backyard, all the while wishing I would have reprogrammed our garage door key pad to avoid this mess.

As soon as we get back there, I picked up a flat plastic duck bath tub floor thingy. Then, in boomerang fashion, I launch them up to the second story bedroom window in hopes of Fernando hearing. The first duck that hit the window brought our salvation.(the ducks had a weird weight distribution so it took a few tries) Fernando peeked through the blinds and stumbled downstairs in time to hear the amen of our thankful prayer.

Tuesday:
We have been trying hard to walk to school in the mornings. There are so many positive benefits that it makes me sad when it just doesn't work out. Tuesday morning started out with high hopes of walking, but Mia just seemed to be dragging her feet. We were coming too close to the critical time when walking is no longer and option. Just as we were about the head out the door, the heavens opened and dumped torrential rain. If we would have left when we normal leave, we would have been half way to school sopping wet and too far away to run home, change, and make it to school on time. Since we left late, we rode safely and dry in the car. We made it early to school and got to have fun running into school under a huge umbrella that barely kept the rain from pelting us.

Today:
Although we were up earlier, we seemed to take much longer to get ready. I did have both kids make their beds and tried to french braid Mia's hair (a non existent talent for me), but we were running really late. We drove in a speedy manor to school and saw a friend desperately trying to get her son to school holding her younger girl on her hip. I have totally been in her shoes. It reminded me of the time when Fernando's battery died and he took the civic to work. No problem, I thought. I'd just walk the kids to school with the stroller. Unfortunately, the stroller was no where to be found. (Later I found out that the stroller was in the garage. Fernando had taken it out of the Civic's trunk so I could walk the kids to school. I some how missed it when I looked.) That was the longest walk. Talia has always been solid, but I was really feeling every pound near the top of the hill that takes us to school.

Enough with reminiscing. We were able to take the boy and make it just in time for school to start. If I would have left any earlier, I would have missed them entirely.

Celestial Choreography at its best.

4 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

What a wonderful post Rachelle. I agree that these mini miracles do happen around us daily. It's just that so often we don't realize them....or write them off as coincidences.

A month or so ago at church I bore my testimony that miracles do occur in these latter days, just as they did in ancient times. Our family has recieved a downpour of miracles in the last year. Some would give the credit to modern medicine....and they do recieve some credit. But there are so many things that have gone right with Elisabeth that have left the doctors scratching their heads. Miracles indeed.

Okay, you have given me a dose of inspiration for the day...I better go accomplish something now.

student said...

Indeed, and amen.

AMy said...

first off i love how kids take everything so literally...i can just now see tiago asking if fernando was dead. that cracks me up and i love the comedic timing there.

as for the rest of your post...i have noticed that prayer is a theme in my life recently {i think God is trying to say something to me} and i really don't do it as often as i should but because of that, whenever i do pray something small and amazing ALWAYS happens. you would think that i would do it more often. thank you for your example.

David said...

celestial choreography, that's a neat term.

i'm noticing a theme with your kids names, they all have the letters 'ia'. Is there a story that goes with that?

Oh yeah, and I think I forgot to mention, but I totally feel the same way about the ending of "orance," it's so abrubt. all of a sudden it just ends! weird.