Thursday, March 26, 2009

Reluctantly Crouched at the Starting Line:

Fernando loves to work out. In fact, I used this information to my advantage over 10 years ago to snag more time with him. My first semester at college turned out to be pivotal. I met Fernando via my roommate and thought of countless ways to spend more time with him. So when I discovered his workout dedication, I concocted this plan. One night while a group of us were hanging out, I awkwardly announced my need for sleep. Of course everyone politely inquired why. I faked a hesitant response of needing to wake up early to run. Fernando took the bait and asked to join.

Problem: I forgot to take into account that I hadn't done anything that could even pass a physical exercise for years. I paid dearly for that lie. Fernando literally ran laps around me as I was gasping for air. Afterwords, sweaty and not looking my best, I would strike up hours long conversations. I guess the company was better then the exercise cause here we are today.



 

(Ok, this is actually a picture we took 1999 on the way to the bus stop to go shopping for his mission 9 months after the workout bait and switch. But close enough.)

When he left on his mission to Bahia, Blanca Argentina, I became a runaholic. I would wake up at 5:30 every morning to run my route and have time to write in my journal and read my scriptures. Life was fantastic. Then I got out of the habit and a bit more then flabby. When he returned, we would wake up at 5 am to swim in or run on the indoor track.

Now days, Fernando still is a kick butt over the top exerciser and I love my Zumba. Exercise, to me, should bring a smile to my face and never once cause me to contemplate my possible demise. Yesterday, I actually agreed to the invitation he constantly gives to go on a family run. He had all three kids in the double stroller (don't do the math) and so I felt like I could may be keep up.

I loved it. Aside from the humidity and touch of heat when the wind would stop blowing, it was fantastic. I think we have a new family hobby.


(I guess Talia and I couldn't get our act together for the timed picture.)

Funny Update:

After this picture was taken we went on our family run. We picked up a friend's dog we are watching which kept me on my toes. About have way through, the back right wheel popped off. Mia had to hop out which was fantastic for her. She ran with me and the dog. Fernando tried to get the wheel back on, but no go. So he awkwardly pushed the dilapidated stroller home. I guess a double stroller wasn't meant to be a jogging stroller for three. So much for the family jog for now.

6 comments:

AMy said...

I think maybe you and fernando should run alone together...because "dating" is fun :)

AMy said...

ooo-ooo... I will trade a picture of Charlotte for the info on that 40 day thingy.

David said...

hey are you standing in front of horne hall in that 1999 picture?

your master plan worked! that's funny how you say fernando took the bait.

ok time to go. saturday is the day to get ready for sunday you know.

oh, and i didn't know that about technicolor. interesting. i'll read up a little more on it.

Kevin and Kristen said...

I love the picture of you two in 1999. I didn't know you knew each other before the mission?? Ahh, young love. The things we do to get our guy.

Becca said...

Way to go Tovar family! That is such a great feat for a family of three, but I'm sorry that the stroller broke. I'm with you on having exercise bring a smile to your face. That's why I love Zumba!

Lisa Christine said...

Oh my goodness! That picture brought back memories of the old Horne Hall days! You too were {and are} so cute!

By the way, our local paper had a whole article on Zumba this past Sunday. I thought of you :)