Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Gardening

San Antonio has a perpetual growing season which means I am perpetually weeding. Big weeds and small seem to creep up overnight. I usually try to get the weeding in during the cooler morning hours right after we take Mia to school. Yesterday was no different. I sat in a patch of grass pulling little pretend grass out of my real grass. Talia and Tiago busied themselves about the yard and on the porch. I would periodically look up to see them playing cutely together and discussing many fascinating things about rollie pollies and what not.

I should have guess by the thrilled laughter that something messy was going on. When I dared to look up, I found my kids like this:





I guess after Tiago saved the rollie pollie from death by birds, he wanted to find him again which meant digging through the dirt and throwing it around. Talia wasn't about to let him have all the fun.




In the end, Tiago had to sweep up with a little help from me. He then said, "Thank you mommy for cleaning up. Now you should say thank you to me cause I helped too." Good point. So we had thanks all around and sprayed the rest off, sort of.

4 comments:

student said...

That is the wonder of being 3 and 1. We don't think about if this will cause work, we simply relish the moment and love life. How precious Tiago and Talia are. Love.

AMy said...

i love that they are partners in "crime". those are some great pics!

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

I love your morning routine. It is a wonder that you can get gardening in before walking to school and then taking the added time to teach a lesson when doing it yourself would be much easier and faster. Some day I wish to be that organized.

Emily said...

i was just thinking about the whole thank-you thing. I often remind Ethan to say thank you for this and that--often he remembers on his own. But it is always funny to me when some adult (or other child) doesn't say thank you for somthing that he figures is thank-worthy. For example we had some friends over to play a game, and upon leaving Ethan said to the husband something reminded him that he should say thankyou for letting him come over to our house to play game and for the ice cream. Way to keep politeness in line. With tiago and ethan the whole world will be more polite, just wait!

By the way--darling pics of the kids--and way to go to actually keep up with the weeds.