Thursday, May 14, 2009

I have a Friend

A long time ago, when I was still living at home, I was on one of the many grocery shopping adventures with my mom. We were planning on making some Zucchini Bread (a little slice of heaven) and had to purchase a zucchini. My mom revealed a secret that has haunted me to this day. Said she, "You can always tell who doesn't have friends because they are the ones buying zucchini at the store."

I have always had to buy my zucchinis and try to remind myself that all my "friends" are gardenless and couldn't possibly bring me some of their squashing wealth. Then, the other day, Fernando brought home a bag of friendship. It was full of garden delights including my validation. Two large and beautiful zucchinis just for me. And I knew right away what I would do with them:


ZUCCHINI BARS W/CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

Cream: 1 cup oil and 1 1/2 cup sugar
Add: 3 eggs and beat well
Sift: 2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon
Add: 1 tsp vanilla and 2 cups zucchini, grated

Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 mins.

Frosting:
3 oz cream cheese
1/2 stick of butter
3 cups powdered sugar
milk for spreadability







Tiago and Talia were a big help. Don't worry. . .I used different bowls to make the bars.

11 comments:

Emily said...

My best guess is that my friends WOULD give me LOTS of zucchini but I assume that the weather here in camarillo is too inhospitable for such a tender plant as zucchini.

So I will just go and get some at the store to make that delicious recipe--with frosting! Seriously, too good. And your kids are too cute.

Okay, bye. I am going to go get my zuchinni, as soon as I do some self affirmations in my mirror. I am good enough. I am smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me. I just don't have any zucchini to prove it.

Emily said...

:0)

tylerandmommy said...

Awww man! I have NO friends according to your mom! Wait...Maryland is buggy and everything EATS zucchini. Maybe that's it! I am going to have to use your recipe though!

student said...

Perhaps, that saying needs to be edited. If you live in a neighborhood with many prolific gardens... should precede that rather shallow statement. It is more a comment about the growing habits of zucchini than the socialization patterns of the people. Zucchini is to the plant kingdom what rabbits are to the animal kingdom. Whatever, enjoy those bars. As for Tiago and Talia - well life just doesn't get any better than that!!! A bowl for a hat, and peek-a-boo.

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

you are funny, emily... way to keep your head up sans friends bearing zucchini.

I happen to have some zucchini plants growing in my little patio garden. I would be happy to share my harvest (if it makes it to that point... we'll see if i don't kill the plants first). Fed Ex anyone?

AMy said...

emily you are cracking me up...this is perfect material for a therapy session ;)
maybe moms theory was wrong...maybe you should make a blog poll ;)

David said...

i am definitely going to try out the recipe, thanks!

TOVAR said...

I am 100% positive that my mom meant it as more of a funny fact that zucchinis were so plentiful then a standard for friendship. I thought it would be a funny way to bridge into the topic of making zucchini cake. Sorry mom. . .you aren't superficial.

Lisa Christine said...

Now I am going to be seld conscious whenever I but a zucchini...lol

Lisa Christine said...

self....not seld....sorry.

Kimberli said...

I just wanted to vouch for the recipe in case anyone reads this comment... DELISH!