Sunday, April 12, 2009

Mia's Easter Party Fun

Like usual, we had a mini party because of Mia's insistence and personal invitations she sent out. It just so happened that Good Friday is a holiday here in Texas so it made for a perfect party day. And, as always, I am glad that she took the initiative. I wish that I had more energy to include more kids, but 3 invitees each for Tiago and Mia was about as much as I could handle. Two hours of Easter fun with no candy involved. . .it was a risky undertaking.

The kids helped clean the house. Mia made place cards for the kids and even came up with a game. She attached stickers to some plastic Easter eggs for a game of charades.


This gave me the few extra minutes I needed to finish cooking the food so it wouldn't be sitting around growing bacteria. That would be a little tacky to send kids home with some food borne illness. We had cheesy eggs (my style=lots of chopped up veggies like carrots, spinach, and red bell peppers with a few eggs and a little bit of cheese).


This face captures the "where are the eggs?" sentiment of the two kids yet to be exposed to my egg concoction. While the other kids, including my own, chowed down, the two boys said almost in unison, "I'm allergic." This happened to not be true since I always question the moms about food allergies before serving anyone, but very creative. In any case, no one was allowed to have the Egg shaped pancakes until they finished their eggs. The poor boy photoed above had the hardest time. Strangely, the other boy, snarfed his eggs down and raved about how good they were.



The egg shaped pancakes we decorated with toppings of their choice. Fresh fruit along with Nutella or Strawberry syrup made for yummy options. I sent the kids out to play while I cleaned up and got ready to dye some real eggs.



The option was a bunny rabbit or a chick. I was expecting an even smattering of the two options and was wrong. Everyone wanted to make a bunny which meant there wasn't enough pink dye. (For the record, Tiago's dye was "red for a rocket ship" or so he said.)
Mia was a trooper and agreed to make a yellow chick instead. While those dried (those name placards really came in handy throughout the party), we had some fun doing an Easter race. The kids had to balance a plastic egg on a spoon and drop it into a bowl.
Then they hopped like a frog until they made it to a plastic duck at which point they had to waddle like a duck to the play set. Then they would climb up to slide down the slide and race to the finish line. Tiago's little legs did the best they could, but wasn't able to beat out the 4-6 year old kids. Here are some of the winners cheering on the rest of the players.

The eggs still needed a little more drying time so we read some books. Finally, just as the kids were just about to exploded from waiting, the eggs could be transformed into their respective animal. With a pulled apart cotton ball and some pink paper ears, we made some pretty cute looking bunnies.

10 comments:

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

i'm surprised there are that many BYU shirts in San Antonio. looks like you had fun.

Josh

AMy said...

mia reminds me of a girl that used to go to my church...she would always come up to Lance and I and invite us to her parties without her mom knowing.

she looks like you in some of those pictures.

David said...

i'm noticing the same thing as the first commenter, a lot of byu shirts!

Lynette said...

Your such a fun Mom! I've never done "a party" just to have a fun party. I'm going to try to follow your fun ideas!

student said...

An Easter party without candy - WOW - I love the allergic excuse!! Looks like the party was a success. Did you pose Mia and her friend at the end of the photo of the winners, or are they just kindred spirits?

Emily said...

I decided to try to become a commenter and not just a blog hog.

I love you guys and that I wish our kids could play together.

By the way, that pic of Talia on your last post--especially the top one--is soooo cute.

She is growing up so fast!

(By the way Rach, you should tell those kids about better ways around eating things that don't look good but are healthy--Does a soup by the name of Anne of Green Gables ring a bell?) :0)

What great easter fun!

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

Mia, you and your mom should open a party planning company. You could make big bucks! I love the "i'm allergic" excuse to getting out of eating food. I hear that daily at my dinner table.

Lisa Christine said...

Great party! I am cracking up that two of the boys claimed allergies as an excuse....lol!

Lynn said...

You have a lot of energy my dear.

Kevin and Kristen said...

That picture of Jordan is hilarious! And his "I'm allergic" cracks me up. He had so much fun though, thanks for doing this!