Saturday, April 18, 2009

Look what the boy dragged in

Last Monday, we carpe diemed ourselves to music class with Tiago leading the way on his bike and Talia roughing it in our hiking pack. On the way home, a stray dog decided that we were a much needed distraction from the doldrums of feral life. With a squealing one year old and a giggling boy, you would think this dog might have lost interest fast. Quite the contrary. It followed us all the way home. I should rephrase that, it follow Tiago anywhere and everywhere he went. Tiago was half mesmerized and half frightened by this new found shadow. I took the opportunity to do some weeding while Tiago practiced the art of looking and not touching. I was fine with love at a distance and tried to not think about the fact that fleas can jump.

Tiago decided it needed food which I quickly changed to water. The dog waited anxiously at the door for Tiago's return. Infact, when Tiago sat by the dog, it seemed to feel finally at peace and decided to get a little shut eye. When it was asleep for a few minutes, I suggested to Tiago that we let it rest. Tiago agreed since sleeping dogs aren't all that interesting. As soon as Tiago left, the dog got up and faithfully followed.

Too bad the friendship was doomed from the beginning. It was good while it lasted.

7 comments:

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

With a little bath, lots of shots, and maybe some food he looks like a great addition for your family! :) mom, can we keep him, puhleease?!?! Liam is so jealous.

Becca said...

That is so cute, but I'm glad for your sake that you didn't allow it in your house. I'm fine with love from a distance too. Tiago is so cute though just sitting by the dog and laying by the dog. Also, good for you for walking to music class!

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

Liezl is so excited for our new house because we will have a yard for a dog. I don't know where she got the idea, and I have crushed her dreams daily when I tell her no, but she will not give it up. Good luck staying strong.

AMy said...

rachelle you could have bathed that dog and kept him. tiago needs a "brother" and dogs are so much easier than babies. i agree with angela! i am going to fight this cause for tiago...and then i will become the favorite aunt :)

tylerandmommy said...

Awww how sweet. What did you end up doing with the dog?

Emily said...

oh my!

student said...

I feel for you and I feel for Tiago. This puppy seems a little too comfortable with people to be a stray. What did you do with the dog?