Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Cascade of Gas

Have any of you ever driven with your gas light on? I do. Frequently. It isn't really an intentional thing. I just usually have other things to do (like get kids home for naps or food) that I figure I will get it on my next outing. Today I left early to Zumba with the goal of getting gas. Waiting at the pump, I usually play a game of guess how much it will cost. I am pretty close most of the time.

Today, when the numbers kept going past my guess, I got confused. I looked at the price per gallon, calculated again, and turned to see gas pouring out down the side of my car. Several thoughts ran through my head. Did I put it in wrong? Where was the trusted click that automatically turns off the pump when it is getting full? Is anyone smoking near by? As carefully and quickly as I could I stopped the gas that was going at full throttle.

I immediately pushed the attendant button. Good thing the connection was about as good as a fast food restaurant's drive thru window. "Blst What sofept do?" Says the woman in the darkened booth. "A whole bunch of gas just poured out of my tank onto the ground." I calmly try to explain. "Cknsft blsret?" "What? I am sorry. It is very loud out here and I can't hear you very well." Silence. I stare at the spilled gas and wished I didn't have the graphic drawings on the pump stand reminding me how flammable gas is. I am also glad that I didn't read this story.

After two minutes of waiting, I pushed the button again. "I am sorry. I don't really know what you want me to do here." I say hoping for a clearer response. I figure out the following from the muffled mess: The lady was trying to call somebody about the problem and wouldn't come out. The gas would evaporate. If nothing got on me, I should just leave.

Almost late for Zumba, and getting nauseous from the fumes, I pull hesitantly away. I hope things got taken care of, but I doubt it. I am glad that I always stay by the pump and I think I will never trust the automatic click off again.

3 comments:

AMy said...

oh my! i can't believe that! now i am paranoid. on another note i drove to work yesterday with my gas light on and inconveniently my wallet was in lance's car so i drove anyway and made it to work thinking that i could get enough cash tips to pay for some gas to make it home...i ony made $4.00. so i filled my tank up with two gallons of gas and drove home. then this morning i woke up and forgot that my car needed gas and so i drove all the way back to work without filling up until after work. this comment is lond so i will end now.

David said...

It happened to me a couple months ago. You are not alone.

Hollee J said...

I did that also but it got all over me right before I had a visiting teaching appointment to go to. (My fam has known your husband for ever I am Adam Johnston little sis.)