Monday, October 6, 2008

Mountains (Tuesday's Utah Adventure)




It has been years since we have been so close to mountains. In fact, that is all my kids would talk about. We had several excursions planned since we knew we wouldn't be seeing any more mountains for a long time. My dad thought of the perfect place. Silver Lake up at Brighton Ski Resort. Gorgeous mountains, serene lake, and tourist friendly wild life. We packed a picnic lunch which included my mother's amazing cookies. Quick comment about these cookies. My mother hates cooking, but loves her children more. And on special request, she made these amazing homemade oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies the size of Mia's face. I would have taken pictures, but one can't think straight while looking at them.

The drive up to the lake is beautiful. Some of the trees were trying on their red and orange leaves and the river doing its thing down the fallen rocks. The kids were fascinated by the mountains and what the change in altitude was doing to their ears. Tiago kept repeating my name and giggling.

The trail was really a boardwalk which made it easy for the kids to run up and down pretending to be either animal or man made machine. At little outcroppings, they could get close to the water which started a duck migration. From all over the lake, ducks started to converge upon my kids in hopes of food. Fernando handed the kids bait to encourage more interaction. I was excited until I realized that Fernando was giving them the good stuff. That's right, Fernando was throwing delicious homemade-unreproducible cookies to ducks with indiscriminate taste buds. I quickly solved that problem and offered them our whole wheat bread from our average sandwiches.







Aside from ignoring the "Don't Feed the Animals" sign, we ventured off the man made path and onto some of the massive boulders. Come on, could Mia really help her self with a Pride Rock like boulder? So the family minus Talia and me with the stroller balanced up fallen trees to the top of the rock. Sorry nature friends.



We finally made it around the whole lake just as several bus loads of kids came. Perfect timing.

3 comments:

student said...

I remembered again how fun that was. Please come back for round 2, or maybe we could come to Texas for round 2.

Kevin and Kristen said...

That is beautiful! I will have to remember it when we go to Utah again. Those are just absolutely gorgeous pictures! You are a good photographer.

Lynette said...

Your adventures look SO fun. I'm glad you guys got to go visit family. I have to say too, Steven and I LOVE the new family pic to the right side with all the BYU support and we LOVE Fernando's shirt in the top picture as well. It's AWESOME.