Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pine Wood Derby

Friday night has become movie night in our house. It's the one time a week that the kids get to watch a movie. This particular Friday we got the inside tip to head to the church for a little pine wood derby action. Mia felt a little jilted by having to postpone the movie until we opened the doors to the gym. The scouts had transformed the gym into a magical raceway. The deal was sealed for Mia when the treat table came into view. I was strangely excited to be there myself. It happened to be my very first derby and all the hype I have heard about derbies made it more thrilling than it should be. I was surprised that no one had named their cars. I tried to help come up with a few names, but everyone seemed more into speed then names. For Tiago, it was all about the cars and speed. Plus there were three cars designed like Lightening McQueen.

4 comments:

student said...

I can't even imagine the heaven Tiago must have found himself in at the Pinewood Derby. He would probably exchange movie night every Friday night with Pinewood Derby Night!!! I wish I could have been there to see his face when he saw all those cars. Mia sounds like she was a quick convert to the car scene. Fun!!

AMy said...

What happens next Friday night... are they under the impression that Friday nights are "Pinewood Derby nights"?
It is official, Tiago will grow up to have an exotic car collection...you better start saving. ;)

Emily said...

How fun.

Good for you to set once a week movie limits (does that include TV/video gaming?) just wondering.

those cars looked cool. and I think it a grand idea to support church functions.

as always you are an inspiration.

Tami said...

We went to my parent's pinewood derby last Saturday night. All the kids LOVED it. Gotta just love that cheap Mormon fun.