Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So, it's not what I would have choosen. . .

Today a real tragedy. While I was busily cleaning Mia's earring holes in her earring-less ear, I heard "Uh-oh" followed by a unmistakable clinking of metal on porcelain. Well if I was a better writer, you would realize that Mia's less then a year old earring fell down the bathroom sink. I gave a little speech about that is what happens when we aren't being careful which really was for me in two ways. First, I was the one who gave the earring to her to look at knowing full well that it is so easy to drop and secondly, Mia was already giving me the speech about how it was ok we could just get it out. Luckily, I have this hidden part of myself that feels like I can figure out any problem whether I have experience or not with it. Ok, it is only lucky sometimes and more often then not it causes bigger problems in the end. For example, I was finally sick of looking at all the ghetto bug screens in all my windows and did a little refinishing of the screens. The screens look great, but I was being sloppy on my last window and didn't lock it in place all the way. This was done despite that whispering notion to do otherwise. One gust of wind later and I spent the next hour carefully chipping out the broken glass from the window frame. Back to the earing. . .I immediately jimmy rigged this flashlight with tweezer set up which got Tiago enthralled. He was already holding a mechanical screwdriver and was looking for action. I wiggled and pried to remove that sink stopper thing and stared down the disgusting abyss called pipes. I know that it is still lodged in there, but I just didn't like the idea of gooping my sink or self for that matter with the primordial gunk residing down there. I locked the doors to the bathroom in hopes of preventing anyone from running the water and ran to walmart to buy some replacement earrings. I was already having a hard time swallowing the fact that we lost some cute historically important expensive earrings, but having to pay to re-pierce them was really unbearable. The poor lady at the walmart jewelery counter got more then an earful of my plight and pointed me in the inexpensive, but non-irritating section of little kid earrings. I did my best to highlight all the options that I thought would be tasteful when Mia saw them. . .jumping dolphin earrings shining of gold wonderment. I swallowed my pride (not that there is anything wrong with gold dolphin earrings) and bought them.


I still can't pass on trying to retrieve that lost earing. Luckily I found this on the internet and it looks like a good first try before we bust out any wrenches. Check it out. It will be mine.

5 comments:

Josh said...

Oh I love it all!! from the gold wonder earings down to the wet/dry shop vac... did it work?!? You are too cool to even find an internet solution. I could just *gush* on all of you.

student said...

No kidding, that little vacuum trick would have saved me more than one less than excitng experience with the wrench and the drain. So did you get the earing out? Cute picture of Miss Mia and Mom!!

Emily said...

Hi MIA!

You will make your gold dolphin earrings look wonderful. (You happy smile and cheerful eyes will compliment them nicely.)

I can't believe what a nice grown up girl you look like--you are almost 5!

I love you mia!

And I love the mom who can do it all. I had one of those when I was growing up.

Way to innovate, higgies!

I love your darling family, and that must have been a splendid ride for tiago to watch.

Spencer's Adventures said...

Rachelle,
I am totally cracking up. I think you are a great writer by the way. Love the video. I'll have to remember that the next time it happens to me.
-Wendy

AMy said...

Eternally optimistic you are!!! ;)I have always wanted gold dolphin earings...I will live vicariously through Mia.