Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Limit

I have often thought how silly it is for movies to romanticize the past. In all honesty, the people would have smelled bad due to lack of conveniences I hold dear. Never once have I taken for granted indoor plumbing and dread the thought that someday terrible water shortages might prevent me from doing my laundry, washing my dishes, flushing the toilet, and washing all the dirty hands in my house. Unfortunately, today, water has ceased to flow from the faucets. We frantically called the water company and they sent out a person to investigate. We headed out to Sea World in hopes of enjoying the carefree, but toilet free afternoon at a place were water flows freely. (well if you don't count the price of our season passes)

Problem still not solved. A new level of gratitude has emerged from my soul for indoor plumbing and water storage. (I guess I should work on my food storage a bit more diligently).

UPDATE----
So at about 10 last night, the water company came out again to investigate. Fernando had be troubleshooting and got nowhere. We lucked out with the crew that came to investigate. Instead of just checking the line pressure (which is all they are required to do) they dug around in hopes of finding some other important plumbing fixtures that seemed to be missing. I guess when the builders built our home they didn't think building up to code was really all that important. They buried our emergency shut off valve deeper than it should be (like a foot deeper) and didn't appropriately case our PVR component which is buried under a foot and a half of San Antonio clay dirt and grass.

Confession--When the inspectors did their magical prebuying inspection they discovered that our outside water pressure was too high. It was reading 105 psi when it should be somewhere between 45-80 psi. We had tried to negotiate with the sellers to fix the property, but they graciously declined and we bought the house and promptly put that problem on the back burner. Our water worked fine (up until yesterday that is). . . let's buy other "essential things" like lawnmowers (2 of them in fact, a MAC, several pieces of furniture, a minivan etc etc)

I guess somethings should have been higher up on the priority list.

3 comments:

Emily said...

yikes! Best wishes.

Kao said...

What!?! How?!?

student said...

Do I need to bring a porta-potty? No, let's just move to Sea World, Yes, that is the answer