Friday, June 25, 2010

3 Seconds


Thursday morning bright and early we headed to the base to cheer Fernando as he attempted to max his time in the PT test. The military requires each of their pawns (for lack of a better word) to pass a physical fitness exam each year. The test involves a waist measurement, sit and push up timed test, and a 1 1/2 mile timed run. For his age, he had to run the mile and a half under 9 minutes and 48 seconds.


We waited patiently on the bench and eating breakfast and enjoying the early morning 85 degree temperature (at 6:30 am that's ridiculous)
When he started, we had great hopes for him. Anyone who has seen Fernando run, knows what an amazing site it is. The first lap was completed in a little over a minute! On his final lap, he was hurting. The rules specifically state that you can pace the run so long as no one pushes or pulls the runner. I threw off my flip flops and decided to run in front of Fernando for the last 1/4 of the track. I tried to keep ahead of him and it was hard. I tried to think of all the motivational screams I had heard from all the sports movies I had seen. I don't think he really noticed me. The finish line brought a disappointing time: 3 seconds short of his goal. It's one thing to miss it by 20 seconds. 20 seconds are a lifetime in running, but 3 seconds are doable. Not to say that I was disappointed in him, but he was really disappointed.

Good thing our cheerleaders doubled as a booster club. Go Team Tovar!

6 comments:

Claudia said...

Uugh. I'm sure that stopwatch was wrong.

Kasey said...

Awww..that last pic is adorable!! Haha..I can't even picture you running like that in front of him..not that I know you well but it just is a funny picture in my head!!

Emily said...

unlucky :0(

:0) Lucky you have the cutest cheer-squad

Best of luck round 2 FERN!

Lynn said...

wait - the AF only has to run a mile and a half?!

here are some other words - hero, warrior, soldier, serviceman... although pawn works too

student said...

What has Fern done to his leg? I have seen him run, and am certain he could make that time? I would have loved to have seen and heard that last 1/4 of the track run with 2 Tovars beating the pavement.

Emily said...

oh by the way...the format is changed I suppose, but I just see the birds in the corner, and the overlay looks different, but it still has the look of your old blog?