Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Not Again

Yesterday, while doing some random house chore I had a random thought--I really should give an extra key to my neighbors just in case. And just like most random thoughts I have, it left as soon as it came. Then, as I was racing out of the house to get Mia to school on time I thought--I should take my other car keys since they have the house key attached. Again, I dismissed such things since I was driving in the car with the garage door opener programed into a button in my van so I wasn't worried about not getting back into the house.

I quickly discovered the wisdom of my random thoughts when the garage door didn't even think about budging upon arrival at our home. I said a half heart felt prayer since I realized this was all avoidable and a direct consequence of ignoring spiritual promptings. At least I felt confident that Heavenly Father still helps those who choose to ignore His warnings, it just often isn't as easy.

Most mornings I have the kids fed and ready to go with plenty of time to get to school. This morning I decided to work out on the elliptical sitting in my garage. I felt so on top of things working out before I took Mia to school. I figured that I could mow the lawn after I got home and still have time to shower before going back to Mia's school to volunteer. I was so confident that I didn't even change out of my nighttime attire that happened to be Fernando's basketball shorts and an over sized military PT shirt. I didn't even put on a bra. (sorry for the TMI but it makes the story that much better)

Luckily, my sweet neighbor was home and I immediately asked her for a ladder. I felt terrible bringing my stinky, sweaty self into her beautiful home even though my kids were ecstatic. She pulled out her ladder and it was a few feet too short. We contemplated the two story drop from the only unlocked window in my house and figured we should attempt a few other options. Calling Fernando didn't work because he was across town in a surgery. She called her friends who owned the home prior to us moving in to find the security code for the garage which we have never been able to figure out. All else failed. I found a tall enough ladder and propped it up to my home. Some how looking up seemed far more doable. Looking down at my tile below was more than daunting.

Fearing a broken anything, I pulled the ladder up to the roof and dropped it down into my home. That was scary enough. With that minor set back, life went on as usual. I volunteered, went to library storytime, and mowed the lawn. I cleaned up my downstairs for recipe exchange, and made a should have been delicious soup but I fobbed the recipe. Number one plan tomorrow--spare keys in hidden places.

5 comments:

student said...

Oh yes, how often do I relearn the same lesson. I am glad all turned out OK.

student said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin and Kristen said...

Okay, you are so ambitious! From the elliptical, to getting ready for school, to mowing the lawn, to going to library story-time, and to recipe exchange night. What a day! That is quite an adventure with fitting the ladder through the window and into your home. I know exactly how daunting that drop is. Yikes!

Emily said...

You and your scaling up homes to get into 2nd story windows. At least it wasn't Sunday this time, eh?

Sorry about the soup--and I have a great key hiding option, if you call me :0)

Becca said...

Wow, you didn't say any of this at recipe exchange. I'm sorry! It is amazing when we have those little whisperings and we ignore them the things that happen.