Thursday, November 26, 2009

Slightly Embarrassed

For days I have been trying to figure out a few comments posted on my blog. Something about being "tagged". Although I love the internet and blogging and what not, I think I am more suited for dial up then high speed when it comes to such things. That is not where the embarrassment comes from. The person who tagged me, Lisa, is amazing and does so much. She is an inspiration to so many. Check out her blog and you'll understand. Now that I have figured out what a tag is and what this tag consists of, her is my response.

What makes me an authentic mom:

1. The night time wake up calls from weeping children are always my best mothering moments. Probably all the rest, even though it was interrupted, helps me see their tender needs for what they are. Sometimes I wish my night time manners could be as readily available during the day light hours.

2. Being away from my children is more of a punishment then a treat. Not that being a mom 24 hours a day isn't trying especially when kids are tired, hungry, and bored all at the same time and you feel the exact same way, but lack the age excuse to act out. I just love each movement and word that spills from their precious selves. For example, Tiago was having a particularly rambunctious and disobedient day and it was a challenge for me to deal with the random spurts of tantrums. Then he suddenly bursts into the room and in an almost still angry voice states "You know what I'm thankful for? This beautiful earth that God created." Or Mia, who woke up too early on morning and set of a chain reaction of too early morning time moments for the other kids was found in the toy room closet tenderly reading a book to a very attentive brother and sister. Or Talia was says things like "More Chocolates". I wish there was some way to record their idiosyncrasies and mannerisms to cherish forever.

3. I detest television watching for my children. I would much rather them stare at the wall. We watch movies once a week and that is about the extent of their tv viewing. Mia used to think that Elmo was Elma because her only reference to that character was from other kids pronouncing its name. I still have troubles figuring out the whole DVD player in the van since we have used it a total of 4 times. I much rather enjoy a good book with them and we are currently car listening to the Secret Garden. I would highly recommend it. (ironically I am addicted to television or I should say I have no control over myself once the tv is on so I keep it off for that reason. I agreed to have cable just so we could see the BYU games and watch General Conference at home.)

4. Even though my singing voice is less then desirable, our home is constantly in song about something with a little dance to compliment the music. In fact, Tiago and Mia will often be singing something about a given make believe scenario. Talia has even began randomly bursting into song and dance. Mia, the most prominent theatrical child of the 3, began the dancing before she was born. She would make my belly contort into all sorts of interesting shapes whenever a good beat could be detected.

5. I would live in second trimester of pregnancy forever if that were possible/rational. (again, this isn't any sort of announcement) There is something magical about little feet and arms kicking around inside of you, but you still have room for all your vital organs.

I think now I am supposed to tag 5 other people and I am at a loss. One of the biggest reasons I blog is to learn from the other women I have met in my life. With that said, I will pick Angela R., Emily W., Kristi G., Claudia S., and Kimberli T.. I am sure these ladies will know what to do better then me, but here is the gist:
write about 5 experiences/feelings that have shaped you as a true, genuine Mom. The rules are to keep it real and then tag 5 other mom's with this honorable recognition.

4 comments:

David said...

whoo hoo you answered lisa's tag!

Claudia said...

You are an awesome mom! And I'll play your tag - just don't look for it today, I'm buried under Christmas stuff.

Emily said...

Oh my, do I comment, or do I just pretend that I didn't see the post.

Jussst Kidding. I loved reading about you, I will try to think of something and write it up. But only if Ang promises to do the same :0)

student said...

Thank you for sharing - you are a great mom!!