Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tricks of the Trade

From a few of the comments on the freezer meal post, I thought I would list a few tricks. First, most dinners can be prepared and frozen and not even contain a stitch of cream of junk. Second, if you foil line whatever baking dish you will cook your dinner in, the prepared food can be arranged and lifted out of the pan and slipped into a ziploc freezer gallon size bag for easy stacking. I fit several meals right on top of each other.

My side by side freezer could hold at least 40 meals prepared with the ziploc method. I usually make a 9x9 size dinner for our family of 5, but even if it was a 9x13, it would still work. As for the recipes, I will post them later, but for now, try out your own favorite recipes and enjoy.

PS Another favorite thing I do is prepare (cut) my meat to be in the sliced, diced, cubed, etc shape necessary for a given dish. Fresh meals in minutes.

3 comments:

student said...

As an official taster of one of the many meals I can add my testimonial to the fact that besides the convenience of preparation of the day of, they taste great.

Kimberli said...

I have been wishing there would be an Enrichment class on this very subject. I do cook my chicken and beef in bulk and freeze it in bags (huge time saver... love it!), but have just dabbled in freezing whole meals. JuliAnne Fisher does a lot of this if you are looking for a few more ideas. I've sampled her frozen chicken pie and it was really yummy.

David and Vicki Wardell Family said...

Rachel, Some friends and I formed a "cooking club" a couple of years ago, and we would get together and cook all day and get our freezers stocked. It was alot of fun, and we enjoyed spending the day together, and best of all, we filled our freezer with enough meals to eliminate most trips to the drive through. I have been to several classes, that do the 30 meals in one day method, but I can't take eating out of the freezer every single night. The method we chose gave us about 10 main dishes, some quick "convenience" foods, ie..burritos, egg rolls, etc, frozen rolls and about 4 desserts!! I love that all our "freezer foods" were homemade. No preservatives, or full of ingredients whose names I can't prounounce and best of all, shared time, recipes and friendships with my friends!! It is awesome...