Sunday, August 9, 2009

Modest is Hottest

After caving to the pressures of media and its influence in my home, I had a little buyers remorse. The object in question: Tinkerbell PJs. We tried to find the PJs where Tinkerbell wasn't striking some dirty magazine pose in equally limited clothes, but I still wasn't satisfied. I tried to ignore it and remind myself that the man who drew such a scantily clad fairy was not trying to ruin generations of girls and their idea of beauty. I hope that he was clueless to the low self esteem of many girls who are told repetitively that the only thing that a boy will be interested in is your body so show as much of it as you can.

One morning I could take her nudity no longer. Armed with Expo markers and a willing artist called Mia, we dressed her to reveal her face and cover up her body.

(note that her skirt was lengthened and the "top" went from nonexistent to froofy. The other characters needed a little assistance to on obtaining knee length and shoulder covered regalia.)

Mia was really cute when she tried to explain to me why she was dressed so immodestly. She said "Mom, she is so small that her clothes have to be small too." Sweet, but a bit faulty on the logic. Put some clothes on Tinkerbell or I will.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I couldn't agree more. Way to go!!!! Tell Mia that I definitely think your design is much cuter than what was before.

Emily said...

Wow!

Mia drew those? Kudos to the budding artist. And good for her for designing such a cute outfit!

AMy said...

lol. rachelle. lol.

Kevin and Kristen said...

How creative Rachelle... I must agree with the whole modest thing. Especially in the movie when she comes on scene in her new attire. When I first saw it, I was thinking, "whoa, that's a lot of skin".

Lynn said...

Now could someone please help Ariel?

student said...

YEA!! Mom, and the 3-d version of the garden fairy is even more cute than the marker version on the nightie.