Thursday, June 11, 2009

B/C just because

So I felt like I was really scraping by for B and C day. I am learning quickly how much better things could go if I thought more about the overall themes and structure.


I had high hopes of making B day focused on the body and taking the kids to a Yoga class just for their age groups, but traffic precluded us driving to the gym. I, on the other hand, made it for my Zumba class (after A day's discovery of my "real" size, I wouldn't dream of missing it). We sang songs and even learned a dance to emphasize our bodies. Breakfast had berries and lunch was peanut Butter on Bagels. The highlight for me was dinner on B day: Lettuce Wraps. You may ask, where is the B? Well, the lettuce just so happened to be Boston Butter Lettuce so there you go. The recipe was discovered at a recipe exchange and I loved it so I will pass it on to you (thanks Kimberli)

Lettuce Wraps/AKA too bad PF Changs
2-3 chicken breast (cubed and cooked in oil - or however you like, I usually use cook my chicken in the crock pot, then shred it)
5-6 lg carrots - peel and grate
1 bunch chopped green onion
1 sm can water chestnuts - chopped
1 bag bean sprouts (This only stays fresh for about 2-3 days. I've also used canned bean sprouts and it works too. Not quite as good though. I've also used sugar snap peas or edamame and that was yummy, but harder to eat.)

Add all veggies to chicken, then add approximately
1/8 c sesame seed oil
1/4 c soy sauce
2/3 bottle bangkok padang peanut sauce (bottle is 11.5 oz - made by House of Tsang... you can usually find it at Wal-mart)

Stir and let simmer until veggies are done and sauce gets sort of thick (approx 20 min)
Wash bunch of romaine lettuce (I've also used boston). Put sweet and sour sauce down the vein then add the above mix.

C day went a little better. I even busted out some letter tracing books for Tiago to practice writing c's and had Mia imagine some stories using C. It was funny because Mia made all the people with the C shape and lots of curly hair. After Library storytime we headed to the Commissary to get some Cereal and Chocolate milk. (and some other essentials, but how else could I justify it as a field trip to the kids) Lunch consisted of Corn dogs, Cucumbers, and Chocolate milk.
Snacks: 1) Chicken nests made from Carrot shavings and grapes; 2) Cherries (I felt good about paying the $3 per pound price since it was for educational purposes).

Later we busted out some shaving Cream to Create C words and pictures. Too bad it just turned into a texture exercise, but at least they did it while listening to Classical music.


Dinner was Chinese beef and broccoli stir fry which I only realized while cooking would have been a better B day meal, but oh well. With Cookies and Chocolate milk for dessert, we made up for the blunder.

Since we haven't given up on our Family Night themes, I came up with a song for Music night. The hymn of choice, "Come unto Jesus". It wasn't until I got to the second line that I realized some words might be a little difficult to explain. I introduced the story with the picture of Jesus and the 1 leper who returned to thank Jesus for healing him. This kind of helped me when I tried to teach the next lines "Ye Heavy Laden; Careworn and fainting by sin oppressed". Hmmm. . .lots of visuals including me fainting and pushing down on their fists to show how something can be opPRESSED. Yeah, pretty weak sauce, but they learned it.

5 comments:

Kimberli said...

Rachelle, you are one creative gal! I'm always impressed!

Glad you liked the recipe... :)

Emily said...

Okay--thanks for the yummo looking recipe.

And, please, stop doing all of these fun and creative things with the kiddos--else they REALLY will be suffering when you come out to my place and they see what the boring un-creative type moms do with their kids.

Okay, that sounded more self-loathing than I intended.

What I mean to say is--thank you for being a shining example of fun-ness and the splendor of mommyhood. You do your calling well!

David said...

Corndogs, perfect for letter C! yummmm!

going to camarillo? my old stomping grounds!

i have a feeling i know what you'll be doing for your Z day!

student said...

That would be" C "for Creativity, and when you get to "E" day somewhere you must work in Extra Energy and Enthusiastic. "L" day would need to include Lucky Lucky Little ones to have a (Moving on to "M" Day) Magnificent Mom.

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

Thanks for the great ideas! I love the idea of having a theme for every day. I also love the preparation that goes into each day. It is so much better than waking up searching for something to do and wasting most of the day on deciding.