Friday, May 8, 2009

Cinco De Mayo

After La Cucaracha, who wouldn't be in the mood for some fiesta fun? Tuesday, we were invited to make Tamales over at a neighbor's house. How could I resist the chance to learn such a skill? Tiago had been fine the day before and so I felt like we were in the clear. You should have seen how his face lit up when I told him we would be going to someone's house to play and that kids would be there.

The neighbor had served her mission in Costa Rica and makes a lot of good food. She adapted some recipe from her brother with the package of Maseca Masa. We got all sorts of tips. The most awkward part was spreading the masa onto the husks. She had the tamale spreader like shown here:


I didn't think it was that hard, but it also wasn't as easy as that lady made it look.

Sadly, we were only there for a short amount of time. Sometime between the spreading of masa and rolling the husk, Tiago began moaning on the stairs. I guess he had been sitting on the stairs for most of the time and began moaning when he realized that things weren't getting better for him. I had to make a tacky exit with my child crying and saying he needed to throw up and had to make my ride leave with us with puke kid. I felt so sorry for bring Tiago out and about. I felt sorry for bringing sickness out of our house.

Later that day, we received a bunch of homemade tamales and beans for our dinner. How fortuitous that the lady randomly decided to make tamales and we got invited and then I didn't have to think about what to make for dinner and it help us celebrate the Cinco de Mayo in a small way. Happy day. Talia and Tiago snarfed down the beans and Mia chowed down a Tamale or two.
Ole!



My family was introduced to these characters via a friend's blog. We watch it all the time and have watched some of there other things. The other long day that we stopped at Taco Cabana Mia suggested that Fernando order in such a fashion. He did, but not so well choreographed and the lady was totally confused. May be that is why our order took so long?

3 comments:

student said...

I say way to go, Fernando for even attempting such a feat. Those kids just get cuter and cuter by the day.

David said...

as usual, lots going on with the tovars. do you ever slow down?

Emily said...

This post has left me with many questions. Questions like:

Is it true that weren't as good at using the masa spreader as the inventor? Did that lady really take 8 minutes for that video? Is it bad to admit that I could only make it through 6? Do Fernando's parents use a masa spreader for making their tamales? Or have they just perfected the art of spreading with a spoon? Is Tiago better yet? Did Men's chorus really not ever practice an ordering song for Taco Cabana? And, most importantly will I ever catch up to being the chefess that you are, or atleast as cool of a mom? :0)

Ole indeed!