Tuesday, May 5, 2009

At BYU, they show a wide and some what strange variety of movies in their Varsity theater. The movies would have been passed up when viewed on a movie store's shelf (who does that anymore), but turned out to be quite entertaining. Some such films I liked were Dreams, Flamenco, and Microcosmos.

Miscrocosmos was definitely ahead of its time. Pre Planet Earth (which is quite enjoyable), the up close and personal look at nature wasn't really explored. Here in Texas, you don't really even need to be up close to be apart of nature. It is everywhere and it is trying to reclaim its home. Daily weeding sessions are the only solution for the mass amounts of weeds that grow here all year long. This bad boy, was taken care of back in January. I looks like it has been existing for a while, but really it wasn't all that long.


The day after I started my antibiotics, I was feeling the need to work and or put mother nature in her place. The tree in our backyard has been in need of removal for awhile. It was dead except for some shoots at the base of the tree. Poor thing. So I decided to get a shovel and go to work with Tiago as my sidekick. (He is a little more then concerned about the ginormous mushroom. My kids were warned once not to each mushrooms in the wild and have been terrified of them since then. Funny since they won't touch the store bought kind either.)








A lot of work as you can see. (Tiago ditched the shovel and became a free lance photojournalist. Oh, those legs need some color.) I finally opted fro pulling it around in circles to break the roots enough to pull out. I was so sore after that. And I felt a little sick again. I guess I should take it a little more easy.

6 comments:

David said...

that tree seems to be great fun for swinging on, you should leave it up!

I am going to have to start rolling my R when i say churrrrrrrrro!

i love the varsity theater! i have to say that the scene in this little film of the bird eating the ants is quite hilarious. and the spider is creepy.

David said...

oh, speaking of chuckarama, my understanding is that lisa won't eat there because of the word chuck, because it sounds like upchuck, which isnt' very appealing lolol

scott and tara said...

Oh the varsity theater...so many memories there :) And, I love your adventures with the tree!! Too funny!

Emily said...

Someone else calls it up-chuck-arama?

Anyway, when you come for your visit we can watch dreams all you want--I own it, and didn't know you liked it. (Actually, I love Akira Kurusowa flicks--ever seen seven samurai? That one is really popular.)

Although you won't get the great color imagery through it as it is black and white.

Anyway, on a different note, I have no idea what that kind of weed is, but we do have one of those, or it's cousins in our backyard-and yes, they very well might be cause for the phrase "growing like a weed."

Good for you and T-man for conquering that tree with such gusto. And, as for your legs--we'll hit the beach :0) (Or you can put them by mine and the glow might give you a tan free of UV rays).

Lisa Christine said...

The Varsity Theater!!!!! Now that brings back memories. David and I used to make it to every show....ah....the good old days... :)

student said...

A woman after my own heart. I bet you would like to swing on grape vines, too. It is really fun. Tiago is darling.