Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring's Break



First, all good things have to end and somethings even disappear. Such is the case with Spring, Spring Break, and even the original draft of this post. (yeah, I often will blog multiple entries and have to use all the restraint I can to not post these extras. So one of these extra posts was all about this past week and I can't find it anywhere. Funny how the internet can make things disappear.)

Mia, who has an endless list of fun ideas, thought that Monday was a perfect day for an impromptu makeup and muffin party. Luckily, we had a few friend's who were available. After making the muffins, the kids headed up stairs to get glamorous. Makeuping was followed by hairdoing. Pretty girls!

Marvelous Muffin Makers

Glamorous Girls

Tiago's reaction to the female manners


Talia getting in on the X chromosome. I think she's trying to eat some makeup here.



Later that day, we decided that it was perfect kite flying weather. With my lack of success in kite flying, I was only willing to purchase one kite as a trial run. If it turned out to be a success, I was willing to get one for each of the kids. As many of you can probably guess, that was a disaster. At the store, I let each kid pick out a kite and we agreed that which ever kite was the cheapest, we would buy that one. Tiago's Thomas the Train kite won and Mia was more than a sore loser, but rightfully so. Luckily, we still had a old kite from our fantastic life in Florida (really, we loved Florida).


Unfortunately, the kite's main horizontal back brace was missing. We had to jimmy rig a strong brace. Mia thought of using some bendy straws and I reinforced those taped together straws with some small twigs from an obliging bush. It made me think of this:



Getting ready to fly kites in the backyard with Talia looking on.



So after all the bragging about the weather. . .Spring had it's own break. The temperatures dropped and rain came tumbling down. Thank heaven for library story times and other indoor events. Mia's tap class kept the girls busy while Tiago and Fernando (who miraculously got off just in time) went to a Fire Engine Special Event at our library.

Mia worked on her science experiment

and we made lots of comfort food. My favorites for the rainy day freeze are inspired by Panera Bread. I'll post those next so this post can end.

8 comments:

David said...

First! Ok i admit i didn't read the post yet, i didn't want to risk not being FIRST! Now i'll go read :)

Lisa Christine said...

David, is so funny. But seeing as there isn't another comment from David, I have to wonder if he really went and re-read it?

I on the other hand DID read the entire post. And I give this post an A+ because it gave me a dose of Mary Poppins for the day. And we all know how I feel about Mary Poppins!

Now about kites....I too have been thinking about kites lately. It seems like such a relaxing, easy activity. But the truth is....it's hard! I remember when David had one a few years ago and he had a heck of a time keeping it up in the air. Maybe us Coats kids just lack in kite flying skills.

However, I am going to buy one for the kids once the weather warms up and give it a go.

Oh yes...love the muffin and makeup party idea!

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

I have three words for you: I can travel!! :)

ZooMom said...

Man, you guys know how to pack it in one day! From Muffins to Kites and more. I'm happy if we can do one of those fun activities. In a week. ;-)

David said...

yes lisa i DID read the post :) i had to come back when i had time for the whole thing because it was lengthy, with lots of pictures and video and stories.

anyways, where to begin? it's funny you put up mary poppins, because i thought of that scene as soon as you mentioned kites but before i saw that you posted the video. and lisa is right, flying my kite was work! i love how those old men are just holding theirs one-handed.

ahh, muffins. i seem to remember having blueberry muffins one morning at your house in sandy. they were delicious.

you lived in florida? does fernando's work take you all over?

are you saying that there are posts that we never get to read? drafts that remain drafts or get deleted? my posts are usually about half of what they started at. once i get done editing and chopping them to pieces for time and clarity purposes, there's a lot missing. but don't worry, i leave all the best parts.

out.

David said...

oh, i forgot to mention that i had no idea "the other side of heaven" is a book. i saw the anne hathaway movie and really like it.

student said...

I love the pictures of the fam. Wow have the kids grown.

Kasey said...

Really..your kids are so beautiful..and handsome! I love how you and your husby always seem to have so much fun with them!! Have a happy day! Lataz~Love always, Kasey