Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happened St. Pat's Day




Usually I am all geared up to do some fun green goodness on this random little holiday, but a las, last night was a bit too short for any major creativity to occur. I am not as young as I used to be. Sunday night was a late night talking to my sister-in-law Sulay who is far too funny for short conversations (late here can be translated into 1 am). Then last night, I stayed up late finishing Mia's poster for her science fair and caught a little snooze between the hours of midnight and 1 before Mia was up with aching knees. That poor girl's knees give her such problems when she is growing. Finally with a dose of Tylenol and several massages later, we both fell asleep at 3 am. Talia, both late nights, helped start the day at 5:40am. The end result, Cheerios for breakfast.

Since Fernando is on night float aka home during the day, I would be able to leave Talia at home during Zumba class. I would get to enjoy Zumba without being yanked out at some random time to fetch a little one who was screaming in the gym daycare. My idea to leave Talia home with Fernando was foiled by a 11 month old who wouldn't fall asleep for her nap. This really is rare and was more then frustrating. After all the tricks I had, I finally got her to lay down, but I was late to Zumba. Then Tiago decided he didn't want to stay in the childcare. Sleep deprived and full of entitlement, I marched Tiago into Zumba class with me. I am sure that all the ladies were slightly frightened by the expression on my face which was a mix of frustration, anger, bitterness, and grease. Shortly into the first song, I was into my groove. (Lucky for Tiago). Wait this isn't the point of the post.

On the way home a huge billboard flashed Little Caesar's Customer Appreciation Day with $3.99 large pizzas. With that little neon inspiration, I formulated a quick change of plans. Tiago and I would surprise Mia at school with a fun lunch. I had all of 15 minutes to get everything ready. Lucky for us, the Little Caesar employee opening that store today was in a charitable mood and opened 15 minutes early for me to be on time for lunch. We stopped by a local store and got green grapes and a doughnut sprinkled with the standard St Patty sprinkles. We even were given two green balloons at the store. A geared up with green leis and fun food we got the surprise we were hoping for. Hopefully, this made up for the Valentine's Day fiasco.

I had a run in with hypochondriadic feelings: Tiago with a assumed case of appendicitis and my ragging thrombosis. Fernando took Tiago to fly a kite. We walked up to Mia's school to a disappointing (for her) awardless science fair poster.


Ate Italian meatloaf on the brick wall in front of her school. And made the walk home in brainstorming mode. I couldn't let the holiday go without something special. Luck struck again and I came up with a modified game of hide and seek. Tuesday night has been shifted from tickle toy night into craft night. I decided we would make St Patrick Day hats. Whomever was wearing the big hat would hide while the rest of us would search. The first person to find the Leprechaun got to hide next and wear the big hat. Aside from making it special, I used the hat making as a treat that had to be earned. The kids cleaned up the dirty living room before they could make the hat and then cleaned while the other person hid.

(neither were too happy with the little hat made for the seekers, but Tiago warmed up to it sooner then Talia did.)
4 rounds later, the house is almost completely clean and we are ready for scripture study and bed. Not the most fantastic holiday fun, but not completely forgotten either.

5 comments:

student said...

Are you joking me??? I am exhausted just listening to your schedule. I thought I was busy teaching full time and taking 17 hours of math and technology classes. I won't even compare war stories. You are a fantastic Mom.

Lisa Christine said...

What a day! {and I thought my schedule was busy!}

About my performances: Last night I performed with a college orchestra. They called me a few days ago and asked if I could sit in with them for the concert because they were short on numbers. The concert this weekend is with a symphony that I perform with.

Sorry....no circus...lol

David said...

after reading about your busy busy day, i'm left wondering one thing: what is zumba?

tylerandmommy said...

Wow. SUPERMom! Looks like they had a lot of fun no matter what! Cute hats!

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

I love the random holidays that have no real traditions attached - leaving fantastic opportunities to be creative. I hope you don't mind, but I take notes on all of your fantastic creative ideas and usually use them later.