Monday, February 9, 2009

Bargain of the Year


I confess that I am a cheapskate. I never like paying full price for anything. My mom even bought me a book that reminder her of me and how frugal I try to be. It tortures me to find out that some item I bought could have been cheaper if I would have just waited. Nothing thrills me more then finding fantastic deals: free admittance to events, too good to be true coupons, and many other things that I'm not going to list because that's not the point. (oh wait, it is, but moving on anyway). Our family has discovered Family Night at Carino's. The Italian restaurant is nothing that original. How can you be original with a classic food group? Still, the food is pretty fantastic especially for the price.

$23! That price included 4 large mozzarella sticks with a enchanting marinara sauce, tantalizing chicken penne Gorgonzola family sized (enough for at least 3 adults who aren't calorie counting), a refreshing unlimited refilled blackberry Italian cream soda, and tip. I should say that they bring out endless loafs of fresh herb bread to dip in their version of kicked up olive oil. It just so happened that we made it in time for Happy Hour which made our appetizers half priced.

The only let down of this whole phenom was the fact that Fernando had to leave for work before our food came. It wasn't because of slow service, just bad planning on our part.

Do you have some terrific deals I should know about?

Oh, and I am sure your wondering about the picture and its relevance to this post. Nothing. No connection just a cute picture of Tiago when we were at Niagara Falls in 2007. He was almost two and chugged most of the Kefir drink himself. This is why we didn't have much left over from dinner tonight. Tiago (and Mia and Talia) can put down some serious portions. My question is where does it go?

Other aside. . .Talia has the most unique food preferences. Or I should say she loves all food. Yesterday we were munching on spinach and artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and peas. Her first "word" is Ma. Twice indicates myself. When said once, it means more.

6 comments:

AMy said...

hey, I took that picture...good times...good bargains :)

David said...

are you trying to make me hungry or something? i want to try carino's!
as for other food deals, i've heard that top ramen only costs 20 cents. and, golden corral is coming to town, finally! this day has been a long time coming, i've wondered for years why the whole country has a golden corral except for us.

Becca said...

Wow when is that? I'm very interested! We should get our families together and go to their Family night. I would love to hear more!

student said...

I am very puzzled about the book, refresh my memory. Tiago is so cute in the picture, it doesn't matter if it goes with the commentary or not.

Jenni said...

We just went to Carinos for the first time last Monday. YUM!

Lynn said...

So I always thought the library was the bargain of the year for books and movies - until I saw how much we pay in property tax on it...

How about WaMu giving you a free $100 to open up a bank account? We had to get a local bank for our construction loan and I chose WaMu (B/c they are becoming Chase and that's who our loan is throgh) then the next day I saw and ad in the circulars that said open checking account get $100. So I loaded the kids up and went back to WaMu to see if I could retroactively get this. I couldn't but the gal said I could open up a new acct. So I did - I deposited $100 which they would then match w/in 12 weeks. They did. Then I got a different promotion from them recently that was similar and I just signed up online. I even logged into my other accounts so I wouldn't have to re-fill out all the contact info and they let me open another account. I read the fine print and they didn't say you had to be a new customer - obviously b/c they asked me to sign in if I had an account already. I also didn't order checks because I didn't want them to waste money on me if I wasn't going to have that account forever. Honestly I didn't think it would let me do it. I've also seen other banks advertising free money such as this but I haven't gone all over town opening up new accts. One was offering $215. Is this how they are spending their bailout money?

So is this a milemment or what - are you sorry you asked. I've got more.