Tuesday, February 10, 2009

So nights aren't all bad


Depending on the given rotation, Fernando gets to see the world with or without the sun. Right now he is living a nocturnal semi charmed kind of life. Work starts at 6pm and ends supposedly around 7 am, give or take several hours. He comes home in kind of a walking trance and tries to have conversations with us. If he is lucky enough to keep his wits about him long enough, he makes it into the bed.

I can only imagine how hard it would be to sleep for long periods of the day, no matter how tired you are. Tiago seems to get the idea that Daddy needs to sleep some of the time, but that doesn't prevent the normal boisterous play he engages in most days. By 3 pm, Fernando is up for play time, and workout time.

I confess that I am not the biggest fan of this schedule, but it does allow me to leave Talia home for naps while go to the gym or other activities with Tiago. Stink is that all night activities outside of the home that are just for moms are a no go. Oh well, he gets to see the kids for at least 2 hours and that's a super bonus for them and me. Thanks Fernando for all your hard work and sacrifice.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

In our married life Brian has done overnights about half the time so I can relate to some of what you are talking about. Of course I don't know what that would be like keeping three kids from waking Daddy during his precious sleep. It's nice though that you can count a few positive things as a result. A good attitude is priceless when it comes to something as miserable as the graveyard shift. There is a reason they call it that after all. :)

Claudia said...

I have long said that the hardest thing about having little kids is having to go to work (and I can't imagine how two working parents do it). It would make so much more sense to have both parents home with them while they are tiny, and work 5 more years into retirement (when they don't want to see us anyway). Hmm - wonder if I can convince anyone to sponsor that plan: "Loan me 5 years of living expenses and I'll pay you back in 30 years..."

student said...

Fernando is a keeper at any time of the day.

Lynn said...

Did you check out Sarah Arnetts latest entry about leaving Lincoln while Gavin slept and she ran somewhere... I can't imagine that Talia could access the microwave though so I think you're safe.