Thursday, January 29, 2009

Just Take a Cold Shower



A typical morning in our household involves all three kids getting dressed and fed while I still wreak of morning stench. I don't mind usually since I often head to the gym after taking Mia to school. Showering then is more then a necessity. It was one such morning that required a speedy shower since one of my sisters I VT was coming over. It often takes our shower about a minute running before the hot water comes on. To speed up the process I decided to get all soaped up so as soon as the water was hot I could hop in and rinse off. One minute, two minutes. . .hmmm the water is actually cooler then warmer. . .five minutes and it was go no go time for rinsing off. My heart never got a bigger jump start. Ice cold water has a fantastic way to focus the mind. Many squeals and shrieks later, I was fumbling for a towel to stave off hypothermia.

It seems our water heater decided that it needed some time off. In the morning, we would have hot water, but by the middle of the day the only water coming out was near freezing. Luckily our home in still under warranty so if needed, we could get the system replaced. But Fernando and I both think we are clever enough to fix things on our own and so we attempted to troubleshoot the situation ourselves. Fernando found a reset button on the tank which revived the hot water. . .so it seemed. We hoped to buy enough time.

By the way, do you know how much you rely on hot water? Aside from showering (which I just decided to shower at the gym), washing clothes and more importantly dishes becomes obsolete. Luckily the water heater revealed it's problem. After resetting the thermostat again, Fernando noticed smoke rising from the heat proof Styrofoam. The thermostat had exploded and was melting everything in its path. Problem two came in finding a store that sold that particular part. Here is where Fernando's and my path split. I voted on a professional checking out the system to prevent any potential explosion (I get a little dramatic sometimes). Fernando insisted on doing it himself.

Being the bully I am, I persuaded professional intervention. Strangely, even though the until was under complete warranty, we still had to pay someone to come fix the problem. Cost $60. Cost of the part that was replaced $15. Time taken to repair the part. . .5 mins. Peace of mind=Priceless. Well, Fernando the optimist thought it was worth it. I was more then disgruntled. Why should I have to pay a dime to fix a manufacturing defect? Oh well, what is done is done and I finally could do the dishes.


PS The pictures were just for fun. Tiago and Mia decided to dress up fancy. The Talia picture was an attempt to capture her scragamuff hair do that was found after a nap.

8 comments:

ZooMom said...

This is too funny! (not for you, of course). The interaction over the repair between you and Fernando is so much like me and Nick - that probably made me laugh even harder :-)

Claudia said...

Oh! We lost one of our water heaters 2 days before Adayla was born. Fortunately for us, it was the one that feeds the kids' and unused bathroom, not the master/kitchen (sorry about the cold baths before we figured it out, Theo)! We ended up replacing (at significant expense) the water heater - but with the thing in the attic, we had a professional, no question or argument needed. Only months later did we realize our home warranty was still in effect. Darn.

Anjuli Fry said...

I just have to say how much I love reading your post. You keep me motivated. I am trying to get back into blogging but having internet issues with it right now. Hopefully soon I will be up and running just like you. Thanks for sharing, I don't think you understand what it means to me!

Spencer's Adventures said...

Ah... home repairs...do they ever end? We just had to fix a cracked shower drain that leaked into our basement. Fun stuff. Glad to see you are doing well otherwise!

AMy said...

I love that picture of mia and tiago...their faces are priceless. One of my favs so far :)

Lisa Christine said...

First of all....I love your childrens names!

Second, I love the way you write. I can tell that your blog will be one of my favorites to visit!

Third, I would vote on your side and have a professional come check it out, because like you said, the peace of mind makes it worth every penny.

Fourth, Glad that you can take hot showers again.

student said...

Tiago in the Rainbow Bright wig. Only a real man could carry off that look. You are so funny, I should remember not to read you blog in public places that require some level of sobriety.

Unknown said...

Is that one of the Rainbow Brite wigs? I remember those!