Sunday, January 25, 2009

Something I'm Not

"Mommy, sometimes I look at you and think that you look like a really old lady, but your not right?" This profound and perplexing question was asked by a very concerned Mia on Sunday afternoon. I asked her to elaborate. She pointed out the clear indications of old age. "Look at your hands. See those veins and wrinkles?" Now, most children think anything older then 20 is pretty old, but this wasn't the same age relativity problem. She was pointing out specific signs of aging. While there isn't anything wrong with wrinkles and veins, I'm not even 30 years old and many aside from my daughter think that I am at least 40+.

Before anyone feels like I am emotionally distraught about such conversations and revelations, I'm not. I am paying the price for trying to be something I wasn't. I always wanted brown skin, but tanning never worked for me. I would burn and peel. How many times did I ignore the warnings of a wise mother who told me to wear sunscreen and not wrinkle my forehead. So, word to the younger looking bunch of you. . .be yourself. Embrace your pasty skin (if it is pasty). Sunscreen and lotion are your friends. No wonder the cosmetic industry is booming. It is the direct result of trying to be something we are not. May be I should just get this guy to help me get beautiful:


Tiago is curious and will sometimes go get decked out in my make up. Usually he says he is being a warrior, but this day he just wanted to see what it was like to be a girl. I loved the lipstick bordering his lips and the mascara all over the place.

As an aside, I have been wanting to get some new clothes. I have quite a hard time finding something that looks my age. (note, not the 60 year old version, but my actual 28 year old self). I am done with buying stuff that looks like a high school student would wear. And I am not ready to sport the classy Mature style my mom wears. If anyone has some tips, I'm still looking.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann Taylor
Shiva

Anonymous said...

James once looked at his mom and asked what it was like playing with the dino's back in the day
so ya kids are great!!
Shiva

Claudia said...

Sigh - we are all paying the price for high-altitude sun.

I, too, am trying to figure out where the people our age are supposed to buy clothing. I love the Gap and Banana Republic, mostly because their clothes are trendy cut, but a little boring, so it feels like the right age.

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

I have actually tried to copy your "look", Rachelle. I have always liked how you dress and have always wanted to ask you where you get your clothes. I will have to follow up with you and see how the shopping went when I am not wearing tents and elastic pants.

Becca said...

I need help in that area too! We should go shopping together!

student said...

I was very happy to learn that Tiago was practicing with the make-up. When I first saw the picture, I was terrified that you were going to relate some remarkable story of adventure that resulted in that picture. As for the age - there is just no way around it. Mia is obviously gifted in her observation skills.

tylerandmommy said...

Your kids are so big!!

JC Penney has some good stuff. Mostly their dressy stuff is good. I just got a silk looking (actually 100% polyester and 100% machine washable) shirt and black shin length skirt for $30!!

AMy said...

what not to wear....that show is amazing! it is on tlc luvs

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

I laughed so hard when I read this post. You should be careful before cyberspace puts out a "self-esteem watch" on you. ;) I hope when I am 40+ whatever that I look as great as you do on your "roughest" looking days. Next time we are in the same vicinity, let's go shopping. I am in the same fashion stupor as you but want to have a new look...

The picture of Tiago is priceless.

student said...

OK I just read my other post and I am amazed at the rude message implied by my thoughtless comment. What I meant was usually kids are not so observant of more subtle clues. For example, if you are tall, you must be old - is the usual limit of their observations. I was not implying you were old, nor that you looked old, rather that Mia definitely has some rather advanced observation skills. Sorry for the less-than-well-worded comment.

Lynn said...

Two suggestions -

Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft*
Botox

You don't need botox by the way but at least you know it's out there in case you do want a little something some day. Even after I had it my mom still told me to stop wrinkling my forhead. I guess I didn't get it enough places. Some people just have strong corrugator muscles what can I say.

*Ann Taylor has the best sales (like addtl. 40% off of already marked down prices) and they have them frequently so if you see something you like that's full price it'll go on sale in a few weeks. I get $80 dresses for $20 all the time - same for jeans and shirts. Plus the clothes fit well and are pretty classic so they don't go out of style too quickly.

Lynn said...

Sorry I'm back. I had a couple more suggestions.

J.Jill, and if you happen upon some major cash - Anthropologie. I could see you in their clothes anyhow.

And I reread the post and want to know who thinks that you are over 40?!

Kimberli said...

ha, ha, ha! What a crack-up! I can relate with so many of your comments... the wrinkles, the clothing dilemna, etc.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry we laid out so much in high school. Will you forgive me?

Anyway, you are funny. You don't look 40. I do think you look like your mom, but I don't think you look 40, or 30 for that matter! At least you don't look 12, like me! When I was pregnant with my 1st, I got to the point I couldn't wear my wedding ring, and I would pretty much do my hair in a pony tail everyday. And on my lunch break at work I would swing by Target and I would get the most crusty looks from people. They were probably thinking what's that 12 year old doing having a baby. I swear that's the truth.