Friday, March 7, 2008

Vigilante married to an Outlaw

So Fernando's car desperately needed his rear brakes serviced. He has been very interested in diy projects like changing the oil and flushing his transmission fluid. The other day he even installed my air filter for $15 compared to the price Honda was charging of $60. (I didn't pay Fernando to change it. . .that was just the price of the filter.) We have both decided to force yes force our children to take some automotive class so they don't spend their life getting over charged for things that are easy ie putting in an air filter.
After some calls, he just decided to let 'professionals' handle the whole brake situation. Fernando is in the middle of doing an ER rotation down in Fairfax VA and didn't want to waste his time. A certain store seemed to offer the best bang for its buck. To preserve its character I will only refer to it as the P store that ends in "epBoys". Coupon in tow, we drop the car off and Fernando heads to Virginia in my car. Good thing for nice weather so we didn't have to be stuck inside all day. Fernando's car was finished later that day, but the ER shift didn't get finished in time. No biggie, the website said the store hours Mon-Fri are 7am-9pm. The next morning we drag the family to P store at 7:20 am and find it all locked up. Fernando has an hour and a half to get to Virginia in time (yeah right. . .even in good traffic that would be a miracle.) He starts knocking on all the windows to get someone's attention. Meanwhile, I start up his car that is sitting unlocked in the parking lot. Good thing the shop was concerned about keeping our car safe. Fernando finally reappears with a look of bewilderment on his face and tells me to take the kids home.
Later I get the update from Fernando. It seems like P store doesn't like people banging on their windows. Some sort of interaction occurred with Fernando and the store people and they threatened to call the police on him. Fernando will have to fill in the rest of the details because well they are still a little hazy to me. With all that said, it's good that we went home. I think my mother bear instincts would have made the situation all the worse. Besides, can you really be upset with this
handsome face?

5 comments:

student said...

I am so sorry. In a world so obsessed with 110% service we have yet another example of this stellar policy. Maybe they were a bit confused about day light savings time? yea right. Anyway did Fernando finally get his car and make it to school before the afternoon? I am glad that it was you who discovered the car and started it. Please tell me you had another set of key with you, rather than finding the key to your car in your car. All in all the picture is very handsome.

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

First, I love the picture of Fernando and all the other ones you sent via email. second:

HAHAHHAHa ha ha... I am laughing hysterically (not at the situation which really stinks) but at the way you told that story P store ep boys and all!! I DO want to hear more details of what happened on that fateful morning and I wish you would have been there at the scene-- bursting prego and all sorts of ready to call out teenagers and lame non peppy boys... I would have paid good money to have been there observing.

AMy said...

I love that the store is upset that Fernando was knocking on the windows at a time it should have been opened, but the fact that your car was left unlocked in the parking lot is perfectly acceptable...blast the "p" store that ends with "epboys"! And yes, Fernando looks slick ;)

Emily said...

Don't even get me going on this one, mr outlaw and mrs vigilante.

I agree with everyone. The girl who told frog in the pond jokes still lives. And is as funny as ever.

How lucky is your (yes dashing) husband to have such an entertaining wifey?

Sorry for your hassle.

Lynn said...

more details please...sounds scary.

and unfortunately cars are getting so computerized and hi-tech that working on them yourself is not always an option anymore. it was a favorite pastime of mine on our 93 honda.