Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rachael Ray+Sandra Lee in my Kitchen=Cereal for Dinner

So the other night I was feeling like I should put a little effort into dinner. Menu for the evening consisted of homemade Upside Down Ravioli* with a semi-homemade marinara, homemade garlic cheese bread sticks, and all to be finished at the same time. (ok it was a little longer then 30 minutes for the meal, but really Rachael Ray has some extra helps and no baby belly to work with). Just as the ravioli was about to be assembled, I realized that I had forgotten to get a dish to put it in. Stretching my pregnant self to the fullest extent, I some how was convinced that I could get the necessary pyrex hiding precariously under other pyrex dishes without causing a problem. You know, the same principle that allows magicians to pull a tablecloth out from under a beautiful table scape (to use the words of Sandra Lee). Wrong. The laws of physics would not be mocked and down came the glorious filling. The picture isn't very appetizing as Italian food unassembled and cheese less usually is, but I couldn't help but snapping a few shots. Good thing it turned into an amusing experience since my altered hormone levels could have conjured up disaster.


Recipe for Upside Down Ravioli (my altered version of a Barilla pasta recipe)

Ingredients
8 ounces jumbo pasta shells
1 lb lean ground beef or sausage
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onions, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
1 cup artichoke spinach dip (recipe of your choosing or store bought)
1 cup cottage or ricotta cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1(26ounce)jar spaghetti sauce(Barilla Tomato & Basil Sauce works well says the original recipe. . .way to push your product Barilla)
Lots of your favorite cheese, grated


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook jumbo shells according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
3. While pasta is cooking, cook ground beef in large skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
4. Drain grease.
5. Stir in oil, onion and garlic; cooking until softened.
6. Remove from heat; add seasonings and blend well.
7. Let mixture cool.
8. Stir in egg, dip, cottage/ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese.
9. Pour 1 cup of tomato and basil sauce into 13x9-inch baking dish.
10. Fill shells with meat mixture; place in dish.
11. Pour remaining sauce over shells and smother in cheese; cover with foil.
12. Bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

5 comments:

AMy said...

I love the picture! It makes for good documentation. I think that we must share a common flawed gene in this category because I totally would have done the same thing. Thanks for the recipe! Lance and I have been trying to cook a new recipe together every week...thanks for taking the "guess work" outta this week. Feel free to post more recipes ;) Loves
Ps Lance really appreciated the birthday message and card. Seriously, it made his day to be remebered by you guys.

scott and tara said...

This is totally something that would happen to me as well. I will have to try this recipe sometime. It was great to see you and catch up at the QO Ward last week. Good luck with everything!

student said...

I had never heard of Rachael Ray or Sandra Lee much less had them in my kitchen, but I have dropped my share of things on the kitchen floor. The picture says it all. The recipe sounds good, maybe you can make it tomorrow.

Emily said...

Bummer~about the dinner.

And a gourmet too. Rachel (I mean Rachelle) Ray.

I tell you. That man is lucky lucky lucky.

Great story and pics.

Lynn said...

The lengths we will go to for something to post on the blog...I get Botox...you smash a perfectly good piece of Pyrex to bits. :)