Thursday, March 13, 2008

Taking away the Information Advantage



In the internet world, one is capable of leveling the playing field between sales associate and buyer. Stinky for companies, but awesome for the consumer. This wonderful equalizing force reared its head yesterday as I had the responsibility of finding a replacement for our digital camera. You see, digital cameras and heat are not the best combination. So avoid my costly mistake and don't put your camera on the counter next to your working stove. The camera will still take pictures and movies, but they will be almost completely black. Just a tip.

Fernando is usually the one who is in charge of major purchases mainly because he is so into researching to find the best product and is willing to spend hours doing so. I on the other hand get bored of the research after a few minutes and simply look for a good price. Fernando said he wanted to empower me with the feeling of satisfaction that comes from thorough investigation. Hours later, I came up with a few stores that had similar options for similar prices. The camera of choice is the Canon PowerShot A series. Now there are several models available, but upon closer inspection they aren't that different in capacity just megapixels and optical zoom. (But don't take my word for it. . . . empower yourself if you are in the market.) In what I thought was the end, Ritz camera had the best deal: a A570 for $158.99 with tax, a free photobook, a $15 in store gift card, 20 free prints with cd, and a photo class that was supposedly worth $280. The sales reps were trying to push some products on me, but because of my research I was not fooled. When I showed it to Fernando, he started to inspect the camera's parts. He found a wiggly lens. In the real end, I returned the camera with all it's freebies and happened upon a steal of a deal. Office Depot offered a higher model and or higher megapixels and higher optical zoom for the same original price of Ritz Camera, but the sales associate was so wanting to sell me 20% off. So I purchase a $200 camera for $118 and got a protection plan that covers my life eg water damage, dropping the camera, and anything else you could imagine all for $20. I'm happy.

4 comments:

student said...

Great Work!! And great news for us to suppose this will be the means of further Team Tovar pictures and videos. I too have found there is a great discrepancy between prices and products. It is always worth doing a bit of research if you are purchasing anything larger than a gallon of milk. Love

student said...

The three deleted comments are evidence that Mom is a bit impatient. If it doesn't post immediately, click it again and again and again.

AMy said...

I am a lazy consumer myself and just buy whatever....I guess there is hope for me. My satifaction awaits!

Lynn said...

A girl after my own heart. I love getting the best deal. And the protection plan is worth it. My dad got Avery a portable dvd player w/ the service plan and we have had four replacement players in the last 14 months...I meant to put that on my blog.

PS- If you live on an island, it's even appropriate to research a gallon of milk as I have seen prices range from $5-$9.19!