Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Vigilante of the Playground


There was a distinct feeling of change in the air. Spring was riding in on the near horizon and many dormant hopes for . . . .oh what I am trying to say is that it was a whopping 60 degree Monday which meant short sleeved shirts and ice cream on the front porch. More importantly, our unfrozen limbs had the chance to go to some new parks in our neighborhood. Tiago and Mia pushed their vehicle of choice (a lawnmower and stroller that somehow makes Mom carrying either of them the rest of the way undesirable). We found the first new park amazing and free of any kids. Out of curiosity, we walked the half block to the other new park to find swarms of kids and for good reason. Aside from the new factor, there were rock climbing walls, interesting slides, and a giant "spiderweb" as Mia called it. Unfortunately, there was a group of 6 teenage boys atop this intricate climbing contraption. At first I thought I would do as all the other mothers were doing, ignore them. Then I realized something. . .they can sit and talk their filth anywhere, my kids and all these other kids have a right to play on the playground without being afraid to go on some toy. Encouraged by the clearly posted signs stating that the playgrounds are for use of children age 12 and UNDER, I called over to inquire about their presence on the playground. After finding out that they weren't there with anyone, simply said "Well, you will have to leave." Some of the moms looked around uncomfortably and pretended that I hadn't just disrupted the status quo. As you could have guessed a few boys made some smart comments and one even encouraged the group to leave. I gave them some time and they didn't budge. Well, not to go into the whole I said they said routine, it finally boiled down to me directly by the "spiderweb" reminding them how to read signs and letting them know that the next step was calling the police. The ring leader felt just as livid as I and pointed out that his mother had paid the same HOA fee as everyone else and thereby had the right to be there. I should state here that all the other 6 mothers around the playground with cell phones were still unwilling to stand up for their kids or the chance for them to have a safe environment for their kids to play. Though I was cell phoneless and blocks from home, I knew that my best bet was an empty threat. We walked to the other park in hopes to scare them off. Sure enough, when we returned the boys had left and we had fun again. (note to reader: you will probably notice the different attire the kids are wearing in the two pictures. Since I was busy policing on Monday, I didn't get many playground pictures. Luckily the weather was still nice enough to play outside today affording us of a few pictures to show the "spiderweb".)

14 comments:

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

Well done!! Thanks for being the brave mom I look up to. I found a web site with great, easy science projects complete with reasons why each of them work. It is www.stevespanglerscience.com. I should have sent you an email about this, sorry.

AMy said...

You've come a long way. Way to stick up for yourself, your kids, and others...It only takes one to make a change. Way to stand up for something right and having enough courage to say, "I am not ok with this and I'm doing something about it." {applause from Michigan}

student said...

Way to teach your children and every other child in ear shot that they can advocate for themselves. Every public situation doesn't have to drop to the level of the lowest fora and fauna that might figure that any filth falling from your face is fine. You never know what child may decide to stand up for him/her self in another situation. Great bluff.

student said...

Love the pictures of the kids, and the park spider web looks great fun. Please don't tell me you also climbed on it. You are amazing in so many ways. Love

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

agreed as far as standing up for yourself and your kids. I confess I am most jealous about your spring weather... hopefully we won't be too far behind you. cute kids as always

Spencer's Adventures said...

Way to go Rachelle! Too bad the other moms didn't back you up. Sounds like you didn't need their help.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Good for you! It always makes me nervous when I see teenagers at playgrounds, usually talking trash and smoking cigarettes. I really am proud of you for not backing down and standing up for your kids. I can't believe those guys challenging you like that. I never would have stood up to an adult when I was in school. I'm sorry you had to go through that, but good for you for standing your ground.

Becca said...

Good for you! Hopefully they won't come back but knowing teenagers they probably will. I really look up to moms that have guts like this to stand up for their children. That park does look like fun!

Emily said...

Dear kristi--thanks for not sending an email about the science thing--we now can see it.

Ghandi has a quote I like:

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

Your children (or the other children of the park for that matter) should be able to use the equipment how it was intended to be used--as playground equipment.

I agree that if we want our kids to stick up for themselves, we need to provide that appropriate example first.

Thanks for being an example to all of us.

Claudia said...

You go girl!!!!

Brooke said...

Good Job! I do the same thing around here! Teenagers are so obnoxious when they are loitering in places that our kids deserve to enjoy! Your family is sooo cute! I hope you are all well! Brooke Ambrose

The Jones--trying to keep up said...

Nice one! A good mom to the rescue. Way to go brave woman!

Lynn said...

I love it.