Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ziki's and the Volcano of Fire

We took the kids to a Hibachi Restaurant last night called Ziki. Unfortunately I didn't grab the camera while we were running out the door and we were meeting some friends so we couldn't run back to get it. (It should be noted that we were a few minutes late, but we were still the first ones there.) After reviewing the menu and ordering the over priced drinks, the show began. Other random side note, we happened to be there during happy hour with "domestic beers" running for $1, I was curious why we were still paying $2.50 for a thing of sprite. A strange phenomenon if you ask me. I doubly wished for the camera after the first flaming smiley face shot 3 feet into the air and almost singed my eyebrows right off. Tiago and Mia were frozen in amazement. A couple flings of the spatulas and spinning eggs later, the kids seemed to wonder why all food couldn't be preformed I mean prepared that way. Next came the traditional onion ring volcano. For those who have not eaten this style of dining, the onion is stacked with the largest ring on the bottom and filled with oil and I think vinegar for a little punch. Then the cook lites it up.

I think that the kids would have eaten anything that guy would have flung onto they plates. I take that back. Mia ate the shrimp that he set on her plate but wasn't into trying to catch the flying shrimp our cook was flinging to all the rest of the party. I am not a shrimp fan but couldn't pass up the chance to prove that I could catch one in my mouth (which I did). Tiago even had a go, but didn't know why he had to keep his mouth open for so long.

Editors note: This picture was found on some internet site, but not too different from our fare last night.

5 comments:

student said...

So how did the kids like the preparation for breakfast the next day? Perhaps next time Mia and Tiago are playing cooking in the kitchen you will see a bit more flare. Sounds fun.

Emily said...

Yum!

I can totally comiserate with you about the whole camera thing. As hard as I try, I seem to forget to bring or use it.

For example, take this very weekend: Friday--Disneyland--left in car; Saturday, Library--forgot, then Lajolla shores--Brought Camera, Left toothpick; Ditto Chevey's for dinner that night; Sunday; didn't think about it. Monday. . .well you get the picture.

One great thing about this is that we are going to the air and space museum today at Balboa park, so I will bring both camera and toothpick to take some snazzy shots. (Probably of just Ethan, though--it's always fun to have to explain to someone about how to use your camera; tenfold if you have to explain how to put the toothpick in just so to take the photo.)

By the way, Did the guy ever miss, and land someone with a fat piece of shrimp in the eye?

Just wondering--I am definately going to have to look up Zikis and try to have a go. Otherwise we will just have to land a trip to maryland :)

And, did your bun in the oven agree that the food was delicious? Or did She revolt?

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

I used to play such a chef with Kevin only we were experimenting with pancakes and they were not on fire. I would stand at the stove in our parents house and flip pancakes over my shoulder (backwards, of course) for Kevin to catch somewhere in the dining room area. Being an agile child, he usually could catch them no matter where I tossed them. However, there were the occasional mishaps that ended up on the ceiling and floor so it is a good thing we never experimented with flaming pancakes. Your writing was quite effective, I might also add. I felt like I was there watching you catch the flying shrimp and seeing the facial expressions of Mia and Tiago.

The Camarillo Trio said...

As a follow up. We did indeed go to the air and space museum.

The toothpick, however did not.

I now feel on small scale the sting of what a presidential candidate must feel--having promises recorded that he then breaks.

Perhaps I will use your internet trick.

By the way. Interesting insight on the drinks.

The Petrini Post said...

How fun! You guys know how to live it up, don't you. So do you recommend taking kids then? I might have to give that one a try also.