Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I want To Ride My Bicycle Part II

For Christmas a few years back, we bought some bikes for the two oldest. The training wheels made them ride slightly sideways and when we tried the American iconic two wheel training wheel-less, there was nothing but anger and frustration from the kids. So, we bailed on the bikes and bought Razors instead. The kids had a new found freedom with the Razors which were much easier to control. Then one day a few months ago, Tiago decided to hop on to one of his friend's bike and took off. There was no magical let go and clap at his accomplishment. He simply rode past my shocked self and never needed anymore help. At that, Mia decided she should try as well. Done. No back aches due to hunching over holding onto the seat. No grumpy "I can't do this!" exclamations from the kids.

So, Christmas gifts were easy this year:





Talia's bike actually was a post Christmas purchase. I accidentally assumed that her love of Razors was for the item itself and not just so she could be like everyone else. After several snot filled bike sessions, we found a perfect craigslist solution.

4 comments:

scott and tara said...

Happy Late Holidays Tovars! I have heard from several people now that having the kids learn to ride a scooter first helps get rid of the bicycle training wheels faster. I'm going to have my kiddos try that this summer.

student said...

Mia looks so big on that bike, and so proficient!!! "Of course I can do this, Mom," said Mr. Tiago, and Talia said, "Ditto, on my own wheels!!" Fun, fun, fun for the Tovars. Are to two tallest Tovars getting bikes, too?

Lisa Christine said...

Perhaps your kids could give Lorelai a tip or two on the fine art of bike riding?

Lorelai still clings to those training wheels, which - as you wrote - always seem a little wobbly to me.

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

I am presently dealing with back aches and frustrated kids because of their bikes. I am so happy for you (and a little jealous). Glad you had a good Christmas.