Thursday, February 26, 2009

A little Mania of sorts

Sometimes I feel like a swing too much between productivity and lack of ambition. I love the times when I not only have an ingenious plan, but the tenacity to follow through with that plan. Saturday happened to be such a day. After our zoo trip, I was energized and ready to be productive. From cleaning the house, to making bread (one loaf for panini sandwiches and a cinnamon swirl loaf for gourmet french toast yum yums) and spinach artichoke dip, I was on a roll. To top it all off, I decided to paint. I'm not talking an enriching finger painting powwow with the kiddos, but a gallon of specifically tinted satin paint to slap up in the toy room. Painting the house has been a long desired chore since the white wall effect lacks luster and makes me feel like I am living in a dorm room, but I was afraid of the process from lack of experience. I even willingly offered to help a friend from church paint a room of her house just to get some idea of how it is done. (Note: I didn't actually end up painting anything. I spent the whole 3 hours scraping wallpaper.) I did get some good tips and now was the time to use them. Fernando was on call and the Talia was down for the night. Let's do it.

The kids were thrilled which help over ride my desire to put them in bed before launching such a project. They took turns with the various tools and did a pretty good job for first timers.
With that said, may be I could blame any imperfections on the kids' help and not my first time troubles. It took me a few hours because I kept standing back and looking at my work and wondering if I should have done a little more research on color schemes and fancy variations on block colors etc. I think that my inability to commit to things on a long term basis made me feel trapped.

In the end, my walls didn't soak the color evenly and I almost ran out of color, but it is done and I did it.

7 comments:

tylerandmommy said...

Yay congrats! I blame my white walls on being a renter and not allowed to paint. Even my pictures are hung up by 3M removable sticky strips.

Claudia said...

Great job! I love, love, love freshly painted walls! It makes the whole house seem new and clean and alive (maybe I've inhaled too many paint fumes...). If the color isn't quite as even as you might like, add another coat. We once put four (yes, 4) coats of paint on a wall before we were happy that the coverage was even. Long live mania!!!

Becca said...

Awesome, now you can come over to my house and help me. J/K but I am going to start painting once I can lift.

student said...

So impressed that after the zoo, and bread making you would launch into anything as challenging as painting, Talia down for the night or not!!! Letting Mia and Tiago help is another way-to-go Mommy move. You are amazing!!

David said...

two posts in one day? nice job.

what!? you don't like the white-wall look of a dorm room? i thought maybe you would enjoy feeling like you were back in Horne Hall.

Watch HGTV for some good decorating and color tips.

Lynn said...

Looks good, what a happy color. I commend you for finishing, I am notorious in our household for wanting to paint and then getting tired halway through and having Ben finish - even after he said he didn't want me to paint anything.

Lynn said...

Oh and thanks for just about hitting the nail on the head with your interpretation of the knife picture. :) I'm sure many people are horrified by it - but that's the reaction I was going for.