Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Our Age of Anxiety


How fitting it is to have elections so near to Halloween. A time of uneasiness and dare I say anxiety. I have been listening to a fantastic book called Age of Anxiety that deals with McCarthyism. So many events of the Red Scare parallel our national crisis of today. Regarding McCarthy's or any dictator like politician's increasing influence and power, the book states it "was not the rantings of Demigods, but fear in irresolution in honorable men." It also reaffirms the scriptures warnings of unrighteous leaders and therefore their unrighteous laws are nigh impossible to destroy. We are fortunate for sure to live in a society where we are free to vote. Even with the electoral college inadequacies and funky wording on the ballots, it is a blessing to give our say.

So after a pre-halloween party at our local library, I decided to be honorable and vote. Well, as honorable as one can look dressed in a cowgirl costume complete with chaps, a Thomas the train, kitty cat princess, and flower maiden.


Three kids in tow made for an interesting experience, but I did it. I starred for as long as possible at the Presidential Candidates in limbo over the decision. There was no clear choice for me. Each candidate had serious policy issues and I felt like it came down to decide between the lesser evil. Talia felt the agony keenly. This topic will proceed further in my personal journals. The important thing is I voted.

5 comments:

Claudia said...

Amen. I actually went to the voting machine still keenly undecided. I almost covered my eyes and let Theo pick, but I figured I should know what terrible choice I made.
Let us pray that we make it through the next four years and have better choices next time.

Angela said...

Way to go for voting with your crew in tow! I went to polls undecided on most of the ballot items because it is impossibly hard to find candidate comparison info in Texas for our state and local representatives. For most of the candidates, all I could find through research was (1) which party they belonged to and (2) whether they were the incumbent. Oh well, may be next year I’ll come across some better sources of info. Take care, Angela.

Unknown said...

I don't think I have ever gone into an election as dissatisfied with my choices as this election. I am just glad the whole thing is over.

Tami said...

I too am glad to be able to vote. My kids know way too much about politics at a young age. Your hair looks cute.

Lynn said...

I actually never got to vote, but as I was as underwhelmed and undecided as others. I am upset however that even though I registered in advance, that I never got my ballot. Ben did (that's how I had a picture of one). Mostly I wanted to vote on Prop 8.

And for real about Michelles fashion flub. She could have worn ANYTHING and she choose that. What a garb to go down in history in. Poor girl.