Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mountain of the Lord

Last Sunday, we popped in the Mormon Movie Mountain of the Lord. The story comes from a conglomeration of journal entries from President Woodruff and other pioneers about the building of the Salt Lake Temple over 150 years ago. They were quite riveted with the movie though that might have to do with the minimal video watching that occurs in this house and there was a blowing up scene. Today is Sunday again and I wanted to make some effort in linking our activities with the Sabbath when the train box caught my eye. I suggested that the kids build the train track to help with the temple building effort (if you have seen the movie, you know what I am talking about. If not. . .go watch the movie). I went to my room to feed Talia and listen/eavesdrop on their play. I heard Tiago busily building a dynamic railroad. And Mia was gathering tools to quarry granite from the mountain. I heard her say "We need a screw driver" and then heard chiseling. I wasn't too concerned since the chiseling meant a plastic screw driver on our wall. I then heard a song about temple building and working hard, but can't remember the words. When I came out, I found this railroad

and this Temple.



Mia reported that her temple was a "Temple unto the Lord". I guess kids really do listen to what they watch.

2 comments:

student said...

Yes they do listen to what they watch. Thank you for making available to them things worth watching. I remember a video of a very small child singing a song written and performed by the Beatles. This young child had all of the words and actions memorized. We can either assume this is a brilliant child, or the child has had numerous exposures to this particular song. Either way, what a waste of this child's eager desire to learn.

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

You never cease to amaze me with your creative ideas to teach children. Thanks for passing them on to barnacles like me stuck to the side of Team Tovar's Titanic (no commentary on the actual ship nor its movie...) :) I love you guys!!!