Saturday, September 27, 2008

Happy Birthday TWO Us!

Just like April, September brings birthdays in bunches. September 22 and 23 bring us 'one year older and wiser too'. This year, I had a little more difficulty getting revved up for my special day. No, it isn't because I'm getting older. Please, I almost have a six year old. I hope that I am at least age appropriate for that. I think it just isn't really exciting to have a day all about me. I was really excited for Tiago who has been excited to turn 3 for weeks may be more.

Monday 22 of Sept: For weeks, I have been hoping for the perfect morning. Definition of the perfect morning: I wake up happy and near the point of whistling because of the extensive sleep I got the night before. The kids wake up pleasant and ready to obey. I do my school mom chores and get breakfast and kids ready in time to walk to school. Such was this morning. The walk to school was even better with the crisp morning air. To make matters better, I actually followed a prompting I had, the first time. I saw a fellow church member who was about to drop his kids off at another friend's house since his wife was out of town. I had already done a watching shift for them the Friday prior so I understood what needed to happen. I felt as if I should offer to watch the kids just in case the other person couldn't. I ended up with one of the boys and was happy to have been trusted again with promptings. Also, since Mia has been at school, Tiago lacks and energetic playmate. This boy busied Tiago enough for me to make my new favorite treat for my birthday dinner, Pumpkin Muffins. The best part about my birthday is that Fernando was able to come home early. And even though he was passed out with exhaustion, it was nice to have him there. I had in mind breakfast for dinner with quiche, homemade Jamba Juice and the pumpkin muffins as my "cake". Fernando wouldn't hear of it and even though I had already cooked the quiche and muffins, I was whisked to Carino's to enjoy a heavenly dinner with excellent company. Side bonus is that Monday night is Family Night at the restaurant which meant the family portions meant to feed 3 people (more like 5) were at the price of a single entree. I ordered Chicken Penne Gorgonzola
(Sliced grilled chicken and fresh mushrooms sautéed in garlic and tossed with penne pasta in a creamy gorgonzola cheese sauce and garnished with fresh roma tomatoes) with a Blackberry Italian soda. Mia had a try of the soda, tipped back her head, closed her eyes and breathed out "heavenly". All was true. We had so much extra, I also got the gift of delicious leftovers. After words, I was taken to the mall to buy a new Sunday outfit. I didn't find much I loved except for a cute skirt. (Still nursing so I have limited options.) I also got serenaded by several on the phone, including a Birthday song in Spanish. Now that's awesome.

Tuesday 23 of Sept: Not so whistely, but still a good morning. Mia and I sang Tiago awake and he didn't stop smiling for the rest of the day. I had a quiche and muffins uneaten from last night which made me feel like I was making his day special. Presents from Mama Clara, Papa Juan, and the Tias had to be opened so we ended up driving quickly to school just in time for class to start. The day was spent reading and rereading the truck books the Tovars sent. Fernando came home early again, but rested and ready to take Tiago to his namesake restaurant. That's right 2 miles from our house one can find a Tiago's Cabo Grille. We all felt pretty cool about that. Mia had a school assignment to take this class fish (a stuffed Nemo) to a place and write about it. She insisted that Tiago's restaurant would be the best place. The food was over priced for the quality. I would say it was like the Mayan, but burnt. We got free dessert that was heaven. . . A chocolate cake with a hint of cinnamon smothered in gooey chocolate sauce and served with a side of cinnamon ice cream. In the words of Rachael Ray, "Yum-O". He opened some Disney car movie paraphernalia and we called it a night.

Thanks to all who wished us well and for the rest, thoughts do count even if they were delayed.

5 comments:

Becca said...

Happy birthday you two! I hope you had a great time, minus Tiago's Cabo Grill equaling burnt food!

Anjuli Fry said...

Sounds like a ton of fun. As tired as I am after Halloween, Colin's b-day and then mine the next day. I love having our birthdays a day a part. It is our special time. Happy Birthday you two!!!

Claudia said...

Happy Birthday to both of you! It sounds like a couple of great days! We saw the Tiago's restaurant on our drive recently, and wondered if you had been there - how neat! And, because you have the best ideas ever, I have just googled "Theo's restaurant" in TX, and found one not too far from us. Thanks again for a great idea and a snapshot of your life!

Emily said...

Wow, a tiago's restaurant--how cool!

What a great mom you are and we only wish we could be there in person to celebrate.

Tiago looks so much older already. And he has a cute smile.

Thanks for the yummy pumpkin muffin recipe.

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

student said...

Besides being an AMAZING MOM, the kids are beyond darling. Thanks for the pictures. I am so glad that at least one set of grandparents has their act together as far as very important birthdays go.