Friday, March 28, 2008

Lost in Translation





Our family took an out of the way detour up to the outlets yesterday. Fernando and I decided to divide and conquer to hit more stores in less time. Our meeting place would be at the Children's Place clothing store. Fernando proved to be the better shopper of the two since he actually had items to show for the time spent in the stores. He kindly bought two little basketballs for Mia and Tiago. These would help solve the inevitable fight we have during family basketball times as to who gets the ball. Mind you we own two and there is always another one at the church, but why not all choose the same ball.

Mia and Tiago were each given the responsibility to carry their own basketball to the car. Mia seemed a little anxious about this. Finally she asked me, "Did Daddy buy this for me?" in which I responded "Yes, Daddy bought it for you". Strangely, she kept asking that question over and over again. Both of us persisted in the same exchange of the original conversation. Finally Mia yells "Did Daddy pay for the basketball or did he just take it from the store?" I hadn't realized that she didn't connect buy and bought as the same word just a different form of the word. The experience brought mixed emotions. First how frustrating, but funny miscommunication can be. Second, the proud feelings of a parent that she would be concerned about accepting a shoplifted item. And finally, the intrigue one has after realizing their child thought they might actually do something that wrong.

7 comments:

student said...

Very interesting conversation. I hope she always retains that desire to do right. It is good. I don't think she thought her daddy was shoplifting basketballs, I think she was confused about the word. Either way, she is amazing to be sure. I love her and I love Tiago and their mommy to be with #3 and their daddy who would never steal anything (except their mommy's heart)

Claudia said...

Poor Mia! Good for her for wanting to do the right thing...
Good to see another pitfall in the English language - we have many, many of those ahead of us, I am sure!

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

Way to go land of obey...

I'm did...

I'm didn't...

I did obey...

I didn't...

I'm hap-hap-hap-hap-happy all the time...

(okay I don't know why that song comes to mind when I read this posting... I am glad Fernando didn't shoplift the ball and Mia learned a very important English lesson... what a cutie)

TYLERS said...

Soo cute! I am soo impressed everytime I read your blog...you are doing all these fun activities and majorly prego! What is your due date again?

AMy said...

This makes me giggle! Your kids will probably find something you two will have done wrong but I think it's safe to say that you or Fernando will always bought you stuff ;)

Harley King said...

Does this mean I should ask to see the receipt if Fernando offers me a new car?

The Camarillo Trio said...

cute!