Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Chinese New Year


In honor of my brother who was born the Year of the Rat*, we enjoyed a little festival at our local library. We loved the performances. I totally am excited now for the 2008 Olympics. We watched these kids from ages 6-15 do a Lion Dance,

Chinese wu-shu, and, a Chinese yo-yo demonstration. These amazing children started with a string between two sticks. Then they put a strange contraption resembling two heads of a toilet plunger put together onto that string and started flinging it around. Check out this video for a better idea.
Mia and Tiago got a chance to try doing the yo-yo stuff and did pretty well for first timers.

As you can see, it was a lot of good times and all for free!


*(may be that's why I fought so much with my brother as children since I'm a monkey and supposedly those two don't mix. This statement should clear me of any misdeeds that I have failed to repent of in regards to my relationship with my brother)

5 comments:

AMy said...

I love the double-headed toilet plunger. I just so happen to have had one of those. When I was like 12 I asked dad relentessly for one and when I got it I played with it for about an hour and never picked it up since...they are called Diablos but I think the double headed flying toilet plunger is a better stage name ;)

Emily said...

Love it!

and you!

student said...

"The double-headed toilet plunger" is a great stage name. You have to love the Chinese New Year. I love the Dragon dance, you should have seen Howard Hong, the 1st counselor in our bishopric do the Dragon Dance - great fun. I love you are giving Mia and Tiago an early taste of Chinese New Year. You never know, maybe Mia or Tiago will be writing on a (what ever we will be calling blogs) when they are on a mission somewhere in the middle of China and referencing this Chinese New Year when they were 4 and 2 1/2 years old. I love your family!!!

Spencer's Adventures said...

Sounds like fun. I really miss all the cultural events that go on in a diverse area like MD.

Kasey said...

Hey..it's Cory's wife! That is so great that your library celebrated that for all the kids! That yo-yo is awesome! I wish I had that yo-yo when I was a kid!! I can't wait for the Olympics either! YEAH!! Hope everything is great! Have a happy day! Lataz~Love always, Kasey
PS..Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!!!