Monday, January 15, 2024

Regrets

 I have been looking back over the years and regret not keeping up with our family blog.  So many memories lost to me.  I even read some of these posts and look at the pictures and still don't remember being apart of the memory listed.  So I'll attempt it again.  10 years later.  We added a kid since the last post and had another move on to college with another about to follow.  

Fernando is the Bishop of the Mt Baldy Ward and has been since right before the big Covid 19 moment took as all for an interesting loop of events.  It's to the point where people have asked how long he's been in and whether or not he is ready to move on. Although it isn't super great having him gone, I feel like we have been training for this moment our whole married life.  Medical school did a great job at training me for flying solo. 

Mia is finishing up her final year of college and in her internship phase of her business major.  I always thought that art or design or sewing would be her choice of major.  But in true Mia fashion, she discovered her own passion and path and is getting it done.

Tiago is finishing is final semester at the Middle College.  I keep trying to convince him to take a few more courses to save himself time and money later but parents aren't known for knowing anything until there is a chance to look back and reflect.  He has been accepted to University of Hawaii but is thinking of staying for a year our local University of Alaska. He is doing varsity basketball again.  I am impressed with the drive he has to continue with Basketball although the team is still waiting to get a win.

Talia is working on juggling a lot of talents in music.  She is the ward organist.  She has taught a few kids  on violin, viola, and currently piano.  She made it into Swing/Varsity choir.  She arranges music and has picked up playing the guitar.  This year we decided to homeschool to work on prioritizing school assignments to give her a fighting chance to get into Middle College.  She also is trying to learn Spanish.

Joaquin started middle school and has loved being in his English class.  He also really enjoyed his mysteries in history class.  He has been in orchestra but doesn't really care about playing the cello.  We have hopes that he will finally make it into a season of basketball without breaking something.  For the the past 3 seasons, he broke something right before  practices really even began.  He broke his foot once at school trying to jump and touch the rim of the basketball hoop.  He broke his hand during a practice.  and broke his thumb doing something else.  

Javier is our only one in Elementary school.  He has hearing aids that he wore diligently but then got out of the habit. He loves listening to books.  His most favorite books are the I survived Series, books about animals, How to Train your Dragon series, and practically any book about history.  He is always learning facts and sharing them with us.  He loves his oldest sister and spending time together as a family.  He has decided that Santa is not really based on logic.  

Myself.  I actually look at my life and wonder how I am here.  How am I now 43 and have kids moving on with their lives.  I have often wondered what my next steps are going to be.  Either way, hopefully I will be better at up keeping this for my own viewing pleasure.

Today I gave a talk over zoom to a church branch in our Stake.  Such a funny thing to do.  I was asked last minute because I agreed to put my name on a list of those willing to help speak in the various alaskan branches.  Years ago, I was in CA with my in laws at their branch during Fast and Testimony Sunday.  I kept thinking how weird it would be to have to give and listen to the same 10+ people every week.  When I came to Alaska and saw the small branches, I vowed I would always be willing to be a speaker as needed just for the people to get a break.  

I was asked to give my thought about the LDS General Conference talk by Elder Cook in Oct 2020 entitled Hearts knit in righteousness and unity.  I receive the text Saturday after I had finished my morning shift as a temple worker and while I was at my son's girlfriend's swim meet.  I already planned to take my youngest to the swimming pool and bowling with his friend.  Not wanting to refuse, I agreed and just hoped that I could come up with something.  Thank heavens I had to give a lot of talks while serving as the 1st Counselor in the Stake Young Women's organization that I could find a previous talk that was about the same idea.  I shifted a few words around and because it was via zoom, I could prop my phone on my laptop and read my talk and reference Elder Cook's talk pretty seamlessly.  My talk ended in just enough time to take Joaquin and Talia to church for their responsibilities as the new Deacon's president and the ward organist respectively.  I let Talia drive them down last week (illegally since she is still only 15 and on her provisional license).  I dropped them off and came home to pick up Tiago and Javi.  We made it back with a few minutes to spare.  

After playing for primary and catching the rest of RS, I was a bit pooped.  I made everyone scrounge around for lunch and drew some pictures with Javi.  I get a bit sleepy so I curled up on the couch.  I have  a vague memory of Talia asking to go ice skating and her friend Robert coming in.  I wasn't even alert enough to pretend to be awake when she brought him into the house.  

No comments: