Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mole

Every month I host a recipe exchange at my house. The theme that I thought of for this month was an Iron Chef Challenge with the theme ingredient being Chocolate. Worried that we would all OD on the sugar, I extended the offer to Asian food as well. (why the connection. . .Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year both fall on the 14th this month)

I was more than a bit surprised when too savory dishes showed up with Chocolate in the recipe. Both recipes were amazing. One in particular had been a fear of mine since high school Spanish class: Mole. (pronounced mole-lay and not so much like the dermatological phenomenon.) Some how every teacher warned of this chocolate concoction and made me never wish to try it. I bravely scooped a big portion and was glad I did. The person used a Paula Dean recipe for this South American dish. Almost equally shock was the lack of butter in the recipe. You should give it a try. Follow the link and ignore the disgusting picture they used to illustrate how the dish should look.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

I am totally shocked that you lived in the same place as the Red Iguana restaurant and have never eaten mole! Welcome to the mole-loving world, and thanks for the recipe. I happen to have left-over chipotle chilies in adobo (which might just be my new favorite food), so I'll be off to the store for bittersweet chocolate and a 5-pound chicken. Thanks for the addition to this week's menu!

Lynn said...

I've only had good mole once - in Mexico city. I'm not sure I could make a good one myself but I'll file this away in things to try someday.

Remember our Chinese New Year party? I just found one of the fortune cookie invites in a scrapbook!

Becca said...

Thanks, you know, I've always wanted to be mentioned in your blog! J/K! We actually had the leftovers tonight of the mole, and Parker, the picky eater that he is, actually ate it!

Kimberli said...

Boo! I wish I could have made it to the party! Except, I was missing the company more than I think I would have missed the mole. Still leary of that one...

Did I ever send you my salad recipe from last time? Maybe I spaced it. Do you still want it for the archive?